Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confusing boot problem D:

• Please log in to reply

operation

operation

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

Receiving a new hard drive earlier today i decided to finally make the swap from XP to Vista. I installed my drive etc then loaded up XP. Not having a vista CD and instead a mountable image i installed vista onto my new drive from my old drive. It installed fine i setup my drivers programs etc.

I then thought hey i don't need the OS/files on my old drive, i should format it for the extra space. (i copyed my old files on to my new drive btw, including the vista image thankfully) And as we know, you can't just format a drive with an OS on it. Stupidly i decided it would be a solution to run my XP boot CD, and delete the partition via that then exit. I did this, attempted to boot back into vista on my new drive but got a lovely "DISK READ ERROR - Insert system disc then press enter" (or something like that i can't remember).

Now being in a bit of a pickle, i reinstalled XP, it worked fine, but hey... i don't want XP :) So why don't i just copy back the vista image and reinstall it? "blah blah blah windows.old" NO THANKS.

Btw i noticed that the Label of the new drive changed itself from F to C.

So i'm faced with 2 options

1. Find a way to delete the old vista install then reinstall.

(I tryed the "d:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force" method but it didn't seem to do anything, i still cannot format the drive or delete windows files.)

2. Find a way to boot from it.

I'm done trying to work it out, any help appreciated.

P.S i don't have a working DVD burner so creating a disc is not an option

Edited by operation, 22 December 2008 - 06:29 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need to make a disk.
Boot off the Vista CD and you have options to rip all the partitions out and make a new one which would hold your installation.
Your new installation probably comes up as Drive F because you have a card reader in the system. Unplug this before you install Vista so it hangs around as Drive C.