Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Rebuild Will Only Boot in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I built this computer in 2002, added a new mb in 2005, and now needed a new mb - BUT, because I had the old 478 socket, I had to purchase a new processor, which required a new power source, a new Video card (AGP to PCI Express 2.0), and new memory (DDR to DDR2). I had 2 IDE HDs (Master & Slave), 3.5 Sony Floppy, 1 DVD Burner & 1 DVD ROM drive. My new board arrived with 1 IDE connector and 6 SATA connectors. So I purchased 2 SATA DVD/CD Writers and connected them to the SATA 1 & 2 and my HDs to the EIDE connector.

My current setup is as follows:
MB: ASUS P5Q Pro - Vid Card: ASUS EAH4850 TOP - Mem: 2 x 2 Gigs OCZ DDR2 - 2 X Lite-On SATA 22X DVD/CD Writers - HDs (IDE): 1 80 gig WD 7200 (Master) & 1 120 gig Seagate (Slave) - Intel Core 2 Duo 3 GHz - 1 Sony 3.5 Floppy

My Problem: I put everything in & turned it on. It looks like it is going to bootup, my Windows screen comes on, but as soon as the little blue bar starts to move, I get the blue screen that flashes, it goes to reboot again, and allows me to start in SAFE MODE w/NETWORK.

I loaded as many new drivers as I could and removed my old vid driver. When it boots (in SAFE mode) it still is telling me it found new devices and to look for drivers, but it doesn't tell me WHAT kind of device was found. If I go to DEVICE Manager, it tells me there is 2 other PCI Devices in error? ALSO under System Devices it is showing and error under Unknown Device.

When I look under MY COMPUTER, it only shows the Master HD and ONE DVD Drive and the Floppy drive light is always on. It can access the second HD, as this is where I store most data files and I have been able to retrieve items.

ANY Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cory

P.S. - The Blue screen said: Check for adequate disk space. If driver is identified in the stop message, disable driver or check for driver updates.
Check with vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable Bios memory options such as caching or (can read what I wrote). If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart the computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup Options & then select safe mode.
Stop: 0X0000007E 0XC0000005, 0X000000, oXBACC70BC, oXBACC6DB8

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome to geeks to go.

What is happening is that the OS is confused in how to operate. The hard drives and registry are using the chipset drivers from the old board and conflicting.

What you are attempting to do is a very difficult task. It can be accomplished, eventually, but you might still have issues.
The best way is to reformat and reload the os. Install the MB drivers from the CD that you should have got.

If you do reformat, disconnect the 2nd drive that has your data on it, that way there is no chance of corruption.

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks so much...I think I will just have to reformat and do a clean install of OS. I was able to backup my main drive to an external HD and thanks for the tip to unplug the second HDD - good thinking. A couple questions that maybe you could express your opinion on:

1) After I format and reinstall OS, if I then "plug-in" the second HDD, will the OS just recognize it as a "new device" and configure for it?

2) I am using IDE HDDs (Master and Slave) and SATA DVD/CD Combo drives on SATA 1 & 2...which I just purchased because my new mb only had one EIDE plug. I've never used SATA before. Will this pose any conflict problems using IDE HDD's and SATA DVD/CD Drives?

3) Will my newly formated HDD/System recognize one of the DVD drives so it can read the OS Disk and load it?

4) I lost my OEM XP Pro disk (I moved 2 years ago and hadn't used it for 2 years before that) so I am going to have to purchase a new OS program (I can't find anybody around here that has one to let me borrow and use my key in). Would you recommend XP or Vista, 32 bit or 64 bit?

THANKS for your time...Cory

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Welcome to geeks to go.

What is happening is that the OS is confused in how to operate. The hard drives and registry are using the chipset drivers from the old board and conflicting.

What you are attempting to do is a very difficult task. It can be accomplished, eventually, but you might still have issues.
The best way is to reformat and reload the os. Install the MB drivers from the CD that you should have got.

If you do reformat, disconnect the 2nd drive that has your data on it, that way there is no chance of corruption.

I took you advice and decided the best thing to do was to reformat and do a clean install of windows...I secured my OEM XP Pro Key before I did this. I have a friend that a new Dell computer with a XP Pro Installation disk with it. I borrowed it and went on my way to reload windows. It formatted the drive and everything seemed to be going along fine until it got to the copying files part. It hung up once at 0%, one time it went to 4%, one time it went to 10%, but never more than that. The HDD spins constantly, but it stops reading the files from the DVD/CD Drive? Any suggestions?

I did a google search and I read a couple places it may be the Dell disk.(I did notice when it loaded a bunch or drivers I saw 2-3 Dell items listed)..that I need to use a Microsoft OEM disk...is this true to your knowledge? Thanks so much.

One more thing: on my 3.5 floppy drive, the red light stays on CONSTANTLY...any thoughts on that? Thanks, again.

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Just in case someone else runs across these problems:

1) Floppy light on constantly because plug was in backwards...problem solved.

2) I reconnected one of my old IDE DVD drives to the slave plug (master hooked to main hdd) and everything loaded without a hitch. Then I loaded my mb drivers, disconnected the old DVD drive, reconnected it to the secondary hdd, rebooted and everything works great...system recognizes and can use BOTH IDE hdds and BOTH SATA DVD/CD burners.

Life is now good again...Thanks for everybody's help.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have been away for a while. Surprised that no-one else picked up the thread.

Anyways, glad you got it sorted out. Reading what you have done, I suspect there were no drivers for the sata cd drive. What you did is what I would have suggested.

And yes, the data cable on the floppy will cause the light to be on. As you found, it is easy to put the cables in upside down. That goes for the HDD cables also. I have seen them forced in.
That is 1 of the reasons for SATA. They are keyed.