Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pack 3 issues.

• Please log in to reply

Hounddog

Hounddog

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have Windows XP home Edition.Service Pack 3 won't download.Microsoft techs have worked on it for HOURS!!! and not able to get it to download.Ran the XP disc/repair etc. Service Pack 3 starts to download and then stops with a CORRUPT FILE message.How important is Service Pack 3 ? Any idea of whats going on? Also the system was orignaly installed by Gateway with the computer and Gateway tried with no joy.They said I had outdated drivers and tried to download a drivers UPDATE program that won't work.It has a UNHANDLE EXCEPTION ERROR.Are THESE issues connected?

Advertisements

Hounddog

Hounddog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Wow! Is no one willing to take a stab at what my issue is? First computer forum I've joined and I thought it would be humming.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hounddog welcome to geeks to go.

There are many reasons why no one has replied. I apologize. This forum is international and not everyone on here is versed in all issues/ aspects of the computer world. We are also all volunteers.

The failure of SP 3 could be due to many things.
Corruption of some of the system files.
A virus, malware, spyware.
Bad download.
Interaction between a program. Usually the virus scanner.
Some devices not recognised

The fact that you tried to run a driver update program and it failed, usually means an issue with the computer that needs to be resolved.
Did the program fail to install/ run, or did it run and show outdated drivers?

Have you looked at STEPS TO TAKE BEFORE INSTALLING WINDOWS SP 3?

Are you trying to install using windows update? If so, try a full download from HERE.

Did you run chkdsk /f and check the system files?
check in device manager for any ? or !.

We can at least start here.

Hounddog

Hounddog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It installs and when it goes to run comes up CORRUPT FILE message.Kapersky first was turned off then totaly removed.Xp disc was run in repair mode.Outdated drivers showed up many times and Gateway tried to download new drivers but got a UNHANDLED EXCEPTION ERROR that THEY claim they don't know what that means. Yes the device manager had ? and ! that the Microsoft techs tried to address one by one.They fooled with my system for easily 8 hours and got nowhere.They ran all kind of programs and exclaimed many times OH this WILL take care of the issue.Nothing took care of the issue.Only devices I have are a Canon iP1500 printer which was REMOVED from the system and a Nikon CooL Pix camera.Nothing fancy.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Yes the device manager had ? and ! that the Microsoft techs tried to address one by one

And what exactly are these devices?
They could very well be the problem.

Hounddog

Hounddog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't know what they were.In the end they want me to back everthing up so they can wipe out XP 100% and start over.This sounds drastic to me.I'm not sure how to back up everything etc.Just how darn important is this service pack three? I'm amazed they spent ALL that time on it and could not get it to run.One of the devices is SPEED STREAM?

Edited by Hounddog, 24 December 2008 - 12:35 PM.