Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP install error.. help please

• Please log in to reply

KevinO.

KevinO.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I am currently trying to install Windows XP Professional 32-bit on a home desktop. While installing it gets past the windows xp boot screen, but immediately after it shows "Setup is being restarted............." then to another blue screen with an error window saying
Error - file not found
C:\WINDOWS\system32\presetup.cmd - FILE NOT FOUOND !
C:\WINDOWS|system32\setupORG.exe - FILE NOT FOUOND ! (setupORG.exe -> Original windows setup.exe)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
POSSIBLE CAUSE:
1. "Presetup.cmd" not exist in the i386 folder on UXPCD
"setupORG.exe" not exist in the i386 folder on UXPCD
2. Check your "Txtsetup.sif" in the i386 folder on UXPCD
--- Txtsetup.sif: -------------------------------
[SourceDisksFiles]
setupORG.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0; must exist
presetup.cmd = 1,,,,,,,,2,0,0; must exist
----------------------------------------------------
SETUP ABORT

Now, I do not know how to check those files, and i have the iso image CD in the disk drive and try to boot from CD Drive but it does not work, and I have no other way on how to fix this problem. HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!!! THANKS

Advertisements

etxeberri

etxeberri

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello KevinO, I recognize that kind of error (perhaps not exactly the same, and please note I'm just an "advanced" :) user).
Whenever it has happened to me it's been the fault of the CD disk. Something got badly recorded on it.

Try good disks brands. I like Verb**** rewritables for these purposes.

Once I've recorded the ISO, I always pass 'Nero CDSpeed' on it. CDSpeed will tell you if the
CD/DVD is 100% reliable to reading.

If you've Nero installed you'll probably find CDSpeed in Start->All programs->Nero->Nero Toolkit.
If not, go to http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ (Now I see its new name is 'Nero DiscSpeed'). It's
free! Does not install, just 2clic'n go :)

Go to ScanDisc tab, CHOOSE the drive with the disk in and 'start'. Wait a few minutes and if you
see all green, congratulations, you can trust that installation disk.
Yellow or red marks? Re-record the CD; even a 99% good will trouble you. If it's a ****atim or the like, problems will be very
improbable for a few years, 100% green!

Good luck

Edited by etxeberri, 26 December 2008 - 08:24 PM.

FractalGod

FractalGod

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey - I'm new here - and this is an old question - but i just ran into the problem for the first time recently. The bummer is that my system is configured with complexity owing to doping a lot of multimedia stuff, and reinstalling everything is more than just setting up an OS - it's weeks of configuration. I tried everything without success and finally started reading the forums to see if there was an easy solution - but i couldn't find one online.

But then I had a brainwave! It's easy to do - and it works perfectly. So if anyone else finds themselves facing this frustrating issue - here's the quick-fix.

Remove your hard drive and connect it to a different PC via internal or external (USB) connection. Copy the missing file(s) from the setup CD into the Windows\system32 folder. Put the drive back in the original machine and reboot.

Voila! Problem solved.

Hope this helps.

FG