Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building Solutions

• Please log in to reply

Vedorin

Vedorin

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay so I've looked at Geeks to Go since I got bored in my Java programming class one day and decided I was going to mess with my Firefox. Little did I know, I found a great site with tons of information. Well I just recently signed up(about five minutes ago in fact) because I have a pretty big favor to ask of the community.
My grandfather recently passed away and he owned his own computer shop. I helped him on a regular basis and even scored a job as a Computer Technician at my high school due to my knowledge. I really have a passion for computers, and understand many basics and a few technical things from what my grandfather taught me. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of know-how on being able to tell how good a motherboard is, what it includes, how new it is, etc by looking at it. I'm not super familiar with what all the ports look like because I mostly spend my time fixing more general things. I was wondering if maybe you guys could leave some pointers on what I should look for in a usable motherboard. I want to continue my grandfather's business because he had a huge customer base and was really well liked in the community. I really hope G2G can help me continue my education on this stuff. I inherited so many parts and I really want to know what I can build from it to sell and also to use in repair situations. I've left my email under my profile if you want to send things privately.
Thanks a lot.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Motherboards can be confusing at first...

Just make sure to utilise the manufacturer's webpage for each one. Specifically you'll find information like the CPU Support List, as well as the complete information like chipsets used, connections (type and number - this includes RAM capabilities, graphics card capabilities), size, and other features.

Just throw yourself into it to learn, that's how I did it. It sure can be confusing, but just match the motherboard to the customer's requirements. If the customer wants Firewire and eSATA compatibility, make sure you find a motherboard that has these ports. :)

And I would definitely rate a motherboard as one of the "general" things in a computer - everything connects to it!

Cheers

Troy

Vedorin

Vedorin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hah sounds easy enough...right?
But thanks for the info. I just hope I don't have trouble finding who made the things.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Usually it's printed on the box :)

Or if they're OEM units, there should be the manufacturer printed on the PCB itself, or at least a model number that will yield some results in a Google search...

If all else fails, it's safe to say you got poor quality motherboards! :)

And I know it sounds easy enough, but it isn't... it will take you some time to get your head around it. Don't worry about that, just keep trying to make sense of it, and eventually you'll be a pro.

Troy

Vedorin

Vedorin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
considering i found these motherboards amongst other junk, they probably are garbage
but ill try and make sense of it

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
It could have been the rubbish pile, or the RMA pile :)