Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Search results are leading to different sites than intended on search

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
About 1 every ten searches I do on any web search engine leads my to a random site that I wasn't trying to get to.

For example, if I try to search something on a video game it leads me to a site like "couponmountain" or "vortal".Is this something I should worry about?I have privacy on my internet tools set on medium high and it still happens.

About a month ago I accidently downloaded malware called "Virusremover2008" and it gave me the svchost.exe error that made my computer unsusable so I had to do a system restore to get rid of it.I'm not sure if that may be related with this though.My computer didn't start doing this random site thing until a week and a half ago, so I tried to restore it but for some reason my system restore isn't working. :)
I already scanned my computer with Mcafee but it came out clean.Is this malware or do i need to change something on my internet settings?

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.