Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive Install

• Please log in to reply

Peter B

Peter B

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi I am trying to get my older pc that had a ide 40 gig hard drive and now trying to use a 500 gig sata hard drive. I got a ide to sata convertor card and plugged it into the ide secondary slot and the computer will boot to bios with the cd rom as the primary, the bios will not recognize the new hard drive. I also used a 4 pin to sata power adapter. Not sure what is wrong. Any suggestions? The ide to sata adapter card has 2 lights on it, a red and green but both light up red, don't know if that means anything.

Thanks.

Peter B

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Those converters are not worth the trouble they bring. They make things worse.
Depending on the specification of your old computer you may either be better off replacing it or purchasing one of these PCI SATA cards.
How old is this computer, what sort of board and model is it please?

Peter B

Peter B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Neil,
It's a rather old pc, not sure how old but the motherboard is an Intel D815EEA2. So what your saying is buy a pci sloted SATA cards? I didn't pay for this cheap little ide/sata bidirectional card, it was a give me with the video card and Windows OS I bought. I will check out a pci Sata card online.
Thanks.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is a very old board. It only supports Pentium III and some Celeron processors. It's entirely possible the board doesn't see hard drives over 137Gb in size although I did find a post saying it won't talk to an 80Gb, another one saying it did and wanting to put a 160Gb drive in it. Alternatively it may be fine with a 500Gb providing you don't use the adaptor.

Peter B

Peter B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The original hard drive was a 40gb ide. I was going to put the 500gb sata hard drive in but it was to much of a problem. I think I might try a 200 gb ide hard drive and see how that goes

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I believe this is a duplicate post?

http://www.geekstogo...ve-t222007.html