Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SBC DSL

• Please log in to reply

compnovice

compnovice

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Help!! I am attempting to use sbc yahoo! on a four year old computer. I don't know the brand but my computer is as follows. It had a Realtek ethernet adapter in it but it got broken. I now have a Dynex PCI ethernet adapter in the computer. My problems are many but they are probably related. By the way I am running Windows ME. I hooked up my dsl hardware the way the instructions showed me and it would not recognize the mode - a speedstream. The unit light up for power, ethernet and dsl in green. I already talked to sbc tech support and it still isn't running. I know two people who live in the same area that I do and they use similiar equipment. Their connection works fine.

Edited by compnovice, 05 May 2005 - 08:26 AM.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I would check the tcp/ip settings forst. or post the result of ipconfig /all here. this case study may help, quoted from http://www.howtonetw...estudy/sbc1.htm

Case Study - Can ping Yahoo.com but not browse using sbc DSL
Situation: The client brought a XP computer for troubleshooting spyware issue. After removed all spyware, the computer can access the Internet from our office. However, the client can't access the internet at home.

Ipconfig /all displays the computer has correct TCP/IP settings, default gateway and DNS. We can ping yahoo.com. The IE is blank without any error. All Power, Ethernet, DSL and Internet lights are green on the modem. and the Activity is linking once for a wile.

What we tried:

1. Unplugged and re-plugged all cables. That didn't fix the problem.

2. Asked the client to logon. He could not.

3. Logged on modem management by using IP 192.168.0.1. It displayed the User ID is scb yahoo regular user ID [email protected]). Click Disconnection on the top and then click Connection. It asks the user ID and password. After the client logged on, it displayed the User ID. The client was able to access the Internet.