Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running XP, want to go back to 2000

• Please log in to reply

Purpleiris59

Purpleiris59

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Dell Dimension has been MORE THAN SLOW since I upgraded from 2000 to XP. I'd like to go back to 2000 but when I put the install CD in, boot up, hit F12 and select the CDrom, I just get taken right back into XP.

Can someone tell me how I'm supposed to downgrade back to 2000?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A lot depends on the CD you're using. If I remember correctly the Win2k upgrade CD isn't bootable, therefore you'd have had to install it from a previous version of Windows. The OEM CD would be bootable. If you have an upgrade disk you'd have to stick an old copy of Windows 98 or whatever on and upgrade through that.

A far better solution, however, may be to wipe the computer and put a new copy of XP on which may solve the problem. Upgrading Windows tends to carry over any problems that the previous installation had.

Purpleiris59

Purpleiris59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Neil. That's exactly what I ended up doing and the computer is running much faster now.

Have a great New Year!

:)