Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bad systems.ini for windows sidebar no visualizations wmp

• Please log in to reply

RIZZIES

RIZZIES

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I hope someone can help me. Yesterday afternoon, my visualizations disappeared from wmp 11. if i now have it set on no viualizations how would i fix that? i contacted an hp tech . he had me run sfc/scannow. it found a corrupted file in the cbs file. it turned out to be the syems.ini file for windows sidebar. how do i fis this? i am running windows vista hp sp 1. i do not have a windows dvd. i only have a system recovery on my compurer. i did a system restore but it did not help. also when i run windows live scann it showm .wma .wmc file expentions in ie7. it says it removes them but if i rescan they are there agaon. a virus scan picks up nothing. i have run ca iss2008 and windows live. a spyware scan only gets cookies. i have run defender, ca and superantispyware free edition.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
HOW TO WORK AROUND THIS
Windows Protection Files are usually stored in:C:WINDOWS/System32/Dllcache
C: in most cases is the root drive...yours may be different...

The dllcache folder is extremely important so Windows XP hides it from you...

click on... My Computer ... Tools .. Folder Options ... View ...
uncheck.... Hide protected operating system files....

There is normally no need for the original XP CD to be inserted as your computer has a copy it can get hold of in this cache.

if the Dllcache folder or part of it has become corrupted then you will be prompted for the XP CD ... so your computer can get a clean copy...

not ALL installations of Windows XP have ALL the system files cached into this folder... You may only have around 25-50MB of files in this folder under Windows XP depending on the settings in the registry.
note ...mine has 433MB in it

HOW TO WORK AROUND THIS
borrow a friend or coworkers retail copy of xp...it has to be the same version that you have installed... either home or pro ..or have them put a copy of the I386 folder on a cd for you ...then proceed to Step 1

As well as having a cache of all the system files on your PC, you should have the I386 folder from the XP CD installed on your hard drive. After doing this, it is quite simple to modify the registry to tell it the source path for these files.

This prevents 99% of requests for the the XP CD with Windows File Protection and the I386 folder also contains many other files that are sometimes needed by the operating system and this stops those requests for the XP CD...

HOW TO PUT I386 ON YOUR ROOT DRIVE:

RIZZIES

RIZZIES

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have windows vista hp sp 1.

titans58

titans58

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I stopped using the sidebar because I have found some of the stuff you can put on it can be corrupt.