Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

220V Computer and 120V USB Printer

• Please log in to reply

hurst58

hurst58

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer is not recongizing my printer. Could it be because of different voltage even though i'm using a converter or possibly because they were purchased in different countries? Is USB cable standard in every country?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The voltage isn't a problem though I suppose I should state here that the adaptors you can buy that convert voltages from one to another can be highly dangerous if you're not careful. The country of origin isn't a problem - how many times have you bought something that was made in China?

Try standard printer fixes - uninstall the software, restart the computer, reinstall and plug the printer in when it asks you to.

dji

dji

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Which printer?
Does it work when powered on? Some LED indicator on it, perhaps some sound of moving head?
Did you try it on different USB ports?
Did you check it's USB cable with some other USB device (if any)?
Can you try it on another computer (if any around)?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Im curious is the country you are in120V and the computer was bought in a country that uses 240V? If so then most computers have a switch on the back to run it at 120V mode or 240V mode, if it is a more modern computer the switch maybe automated if so it will be written on the label 120~240V. It seems rare to me to have 240V only PSUs because there are pretty much no 120V PSUs.

On top of that, most converters don't change the frequency which can cause system instability. If I remember correctly 120V runs at 60Hz and 240V runs at 50Hz. This can cause more problems.

That being said, if the converter is on the printer, see if the printer starts up. When you push the power button, do the lights come on do you hear the head moving aroudn etc. as it warms up. If not, the problem is with the printer.