Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

device manger gone as a result of malware

• Please log in to reply

newbie38

newbie38

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been battling a real piece of catastrophe calle "spyware gurad 2008" nastiest piece of malware I have ever gone up against and it looks like its finally gone after a week of booting into safe mode and going back and forth between computers looking for fixes...anyways now Im stuck with a blank device manager..no network..no audio=no fun.

I have tried numerous different things and Im almost to the poing of reformatting but I have always been able to fix my computer regardless of what it was so Im not going down without a fight...if anyone has any ideas no matter how crazy they are Im willing to try.
Thank you

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

You might try HERE. Scroll down to 107 in the list, look at the right pane, you'll see "Restore the Device Manager". Right click on the item and choose Save as, then save it to your desktop. This is a registry key, so all you have to do is merge it by double-clicking and confirming Yes.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello newbie38...

The infection you had probably stopped the plug and play service. Click on Start, then Run, type services.msc and click "Ok".

In the list of services that opens, locate and double click on "Plug and Play". Make sure the Startup Type is set to "Automatic" and then click the "Start" button.

Try Device Manager...it should now populate normally.

wannabe1

newbie38

newbie38

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
you are awsome!!! my device manager is back now..jezz finally.
Now I only have a couple of problems and you seem to be the person to ask. "My network places have nothing in them although the device manger say they are there and working..same as my wireless printer..I noticed that I had alot of things disabled in the services.msc . and the computer is really slow as well.
scanned for more viruses and trojans and everything looks clean now.
btw thanks again..it would be great if i actually got it fully working for christmas..just got a new camera

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's explore the slowness a little.

Is the machine very slow to boot up and open applications? When you play a sound file or audio cd, does it sound distorted and choppy?

My replies may be a bit slow as I celebrate the holidays with my family.