Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Problems

• Please log in to reply

Ashitaga

Ashitaga

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
For some reason my disk drive doesnt seem to read disks all the time, when i restart my laptop it seems to work but alittle bit later the same thing happens again. I was wondering if there was anything i could do to fix this or if i would have to take it in

Advertisements

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
what is the history behind this? a little bit more info about it. when did it happen? do u make change on system like update driver, install/uninstall any tools or hardware? what disk drive are u talking about?

Ashitaga

Ashitaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It started happening about 1 and 1/2 weeks ago. I didnt upgrade or change anything on my laptop which puzzles me why its happening even more. And its my E drive. The drive that i put CD's into

dji

dji

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
hm, you are talking about CD (or DVD) drive.

Check does your CD drive head is clean enough. To do that correctly please DO NOT tuch it by a finger or sharp things.
Just do this:

1. Remove battery from laptop
2. turn on laptop just with AC adapter
3. eject CD drive
4. forced turn off laptop by removing power cable while system not started booting

Now you have CD doors opened. BE SURE BATTERY IS OUT AND AC ADAPTER IS PLUGGED OFF otherwise you risks your eyes from potentially malfunctioned CD drive!

Take some lens or powerful glasses and check CD head (small glass circle on opened CD plate).
It should be without dust and without any kind of dirty. Do not touch it just look. It should be clean over all surface not just in center. If you find it is not then you should visit nearest service. I do not recommend to try to clean the head on your own because you can make a damage. Only you can do is to try to blow eventually visible particles with an air fan.

close CD door
bring battery back

also make sure your CDs (or DVDs) are clean too, from the side head reads from. Do not touch that side by the fingers when putting or taking out CDs from CD drive.
CD and DVD mediums could be cleaned by soft cloth and by alcohol.

Ashitaga

Ashitaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok i tried that last night and it looked like it worked but then this morning im haveing the same problem :)