Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd rom drive wont eject, play or even be detected

• Please log in to reply

melaniekaye

melaniekaye

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello - my problrem is that my cd rom drive works initially, but if I stop it and start it again, it says:
Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted. When I check in windows explorer, it doesn't even show that there is even a cd rom installed. After rebooting my compute, however, it is there again... Please advise on what the problem may be.

Thank you so much!!
Melanie

Advertisements

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi Melanie :)
Go ahead and give this a try:

1. Click Start, then Run, then enter REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor
2. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class entry
3. Under the Class entry, double click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the UpperFilters entry
5. Make sure the UpperFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
6. In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the LowerFilters entry
7. Make sure the LowerFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
8. Close the Registry Editor by clicking File, Exit.

The upper and lower filters are kindof like an instruction set that windows uses that tells the drive how to work. If this doesn't fix your problem, you may be looking at a bad cdrom drive :/

melaniekaye

melaniekaye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the advice. I haven't tried deleting the lines from my registry only because I'm truly afraid of messing with the things in my registry :)

While I was checking in my device manager, however, I noticed something that might be worth telling you... it doesn't show my cd-rom drive at all, but when I click to see hidden files, there is an exclamation mark on a non-plug n play device called 'serial'... I wanted to uninstall it, but unsure of the file type and don't want to mess anything up.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Melanie