Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Services won't start

• Please log in to reply

cdell

cdell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi
I just recently found a issues in AVG, called "Back Door.Generic 10.Trojan horse. ABVU". Avg asked if I wanted to either Heal or Remove it. I tried both but it would always come back. The path was C:\windows\system32\asfsip.dll.
Every time I touched this file AVG would fire asking to Heal or Remove". I tired to delete it and I was told I didn't have access. Regedit also denied me access. And I was logged in as Admin.
Yesterday during the AVG scheduled run it said I my systemwas fine no issues. I checked and the asfsip.dll was still there but it seam inactive. Still couldn't delete it. I ran sfc /scannow thinking it was a corrupted dll and it took several hours (at least 2 for sure since I left it running and went to bed). I the morning their were no messages, just normal, like nothing happened.

So much for the story here is the issue I have: Even though I can't kill the dll my computer appears to be fine except for:
Prefetch, and Auto System Restore seam to have stopped. In subsequent searches I found that the Task Scheduler must be started to get these to run.
I go to MY Computer>Mange>Computer Management> Services and Applications > Services > Task Scheduler. It shows as Start up Type Automatic, but when click start I get the error message "Error 1717; the interface is unknown. Aslo when I go to the Event Viewer i get a Error saying "Unable to complete operation interface unknown"
on Application, Security and System.
P.S. if I initiate a manual Restore it appears to work. but when I restore to a previous date/time it says it did but I seam to remember in the past it wanted me to restart the computer, it no longer does, but indicates it successfully reset?

I would appreciate and advice and or potential options I hope I haven't created a mess
Thanks in advance for any help
Chuck

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Hello :) and welcome to Geeks2Go! You appear to have some malware, as AVG has discovered also...

Please go to the malware forum and Start HERE....
70 percent of all problems can be solved here. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the Malware Removal - HijackThis™ Logs Go Here Forum

Edited by piano9playa5, 23 December 2008 - 05:27 PM.