Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

merfie

merfie

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK - here goes - I have an eMachine model C2480, AMD Athlon XP Processor, 2400+, 80 GB Ultra ATA 100, 512 mb DDR with Microsoft Windows XP Home preinstalled. I do not have the installation CD for Windows. I am getting the dreaded
"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30"

message that just loops - none of the options work - if I try Safe Mode it just quickly shows a screen that apparently has a lot of Windows system 32 lines on it - can't tell for sure 'cause it goes by too quick to see and F8 doesn't stop it. No blue screen - just black with all those "system 32" lines on it. Same thing happens if I try the Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

I have looked for solutions all over the place but haven't found any to solve the situation if it an OEM version with no installation CD - what can I do!

Mahalo nui loa from Hawaii!

Advertisements

justingong2008

justingong2008

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Safe mode would provide a lot information on the screen, Have you been patient to let it run a while?
If the computer is pre-loaded machine, it should have a recovery CD go with the machine. And Windows system crash is often, That's why you should have you system backup once a period time. I have double checked with Emachine site, they have provided u restore CD. it should do the job.

Anyways, try this. if not work , you have to find some utilities would help u to repair windows system. But still you should keep a copy of ur current data if they are important.
in case, u can use special software to have you database move to external hard drive or another computer. Re-install your system.

plus, if u wanna do restore, please check with emachine website , make sure they provide all the system drivers.

good luck.

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks, justingong - I do have the recovery CD but I don't want to lose what's on there now and, unfortunately, I don't have it backed up. According to the info I've gleaned so far, a "repair" with the Windows install CD would get it going again and not lose anything in the process. I'm afraid I'm going to have to suck it up and take it somewhere to fix it!

Swap_2003am

Swap_2003am

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi friends, thanks in advence for yr suggestions.

I have Dell dimension 4400
i cant start PC list of massages like "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30"

None of above option worked.
i tried safe mode but again same massage repeating.
I tried to check hard disk on other PC it works fine.

Swap!!!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
merfie Welcome to geeks to go

Do not use the recovery option as of yet. As you know, all your data will be lost and you will go back to day 1.

Have you tried "last known good configuration"?
Have you let safe mode run till it finishes? Safe mode will take a while to load. When finished, you will see a weird desktop with "safemode" in all 4 corners.
If you get that far, the we can try restoring back to a previous date.

There are also a few other options that can be tried. We will have to take them 1 at a time. Be patient.

Can you borrow a XP home version of the CD? If so, this will be another option.

Swap_2003am Welcome to geeks to go also. You need to start your own post. Not all solutions are the same for all problems. Yours will get buried in this one and it will get really confusing.

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the input 123 - I've tried everything - this actually used to happen about a year ago but it would finally boot after many tries - I finally just left it on - last week, tho, it got turned off in the process of hooking up another monitor but booted right up again so I thought the problem was solved. NOT! Now it won't boot PERIOD. BTW - it has that RegCure program on it - that's probably done something horrible to it. Yes, I got suckered into it thinking it would speed things up

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

if I try Safe Mode it just quickly shows a screen that apparently has a lot of Windows system 32 lines on it - can't tell for sure 'cause it goes by too quick to see and F8 doesn't stop it. No blue screen - just black with all those "system 32" lines on it.

Have you been patient to let it run a while?

There is no reason to interrupt Safe Mode loading by pressing F8 key, or any other key for that matter.
Sometimes, it takes a while to boot to Safe Mode.

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The "system 32 screen" scrolls by too quick to read and then it goes back to the "We apologize etc., . ." screen. I just mentioned the f8 thing 'cause it was suggested in another suggestion about how to interrupt the looping.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
If you have data that you can't afford to loose can you piggy back the drive onto the machine you are using now or are you using a laptop?
Are you able to burn a cd on the machine you are using.

Download RC.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning tool like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for the operating system you'll be creating the disk on.

After you burn the image
Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

Cheers
Peterm

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
You will be at a command prompt window.
At the prompt type in fixboot and hit Enter.
Remove the CD and re-boot.

If the above didn't work, repeat the procedure, but this time type in fixmbr and hit Enter.
Again remove the CD and re-boot.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
LOL...we posted at the same time :)

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Whew! That looks like a major process - thank you both! I'll have to postpone doing it, however, 'cause my water heater sprang a leak which I discovered late yesterday afternoon when everything had closed already so I'll have to tend to that tomorrow. I'm using my laptop to try to figure my way out of this boot problem on my PC - does that make a difference in burning the cd?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
You may download the RC.iso to the laptop and use nero ,or as suggested imgburn to burn the file. Assuming you have a cd burner in the laptop.

The RC.iso is just 1 file. Imgburn is a small and really easy burning program.

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok - I've slogged through a few other "situations" besides the water heater and finally got around to trying your fixes. I clicked on
: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso and got the first file download window - I selected "open" whereupon it began with the little bars going across to show the progress - when it got to the end it just disappeared - no installation window or anything! I can't find it anywhere! Now what!

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Here is a link that you can download the recovery console to your desktop.
And here is a link that tells you how to make the disc.