Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You need to save the file and then use imgburn.

Advertisements

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I tried to get imgburn but got this instead:

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /SetupImgBurn_2.4.2.0.exe on this server.
Please inform the administrator of the referring page, http://imgburn.en.so...ic.com/download if you think this was a mistake.

If you're trying to download ImgBurn, please click here or wait to be redirected in 10 seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
download.imgburn.com "

The burner that comes with my laptop gives me this:
"no supported drive detected"

I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel!! LOL

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Try this
Click on me

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Ok, Thats interesting. You are blocked from their server. I had no problem accessing and doing the download. Right now I am clueless on that 1.
If you did not have admin rights on your computer, I believe you could download, but not install.
You can also try Burncdcc (from my signature).

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

The burner that comes with my laptop gives me this:
"no supported drive detected"

Have you ever burned anything on your laptop.
This says you do not have a burner or it is playing up
Cheers
Peterm

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Bingo, TT - I got it! - now on to the next steps - No, I've never burned anything period - oh - I tried on my PC once but screwed it up and gave up - in case you hadn't noticed, my patience is on a short fuse! The burner that came with my Acer laptop is "NTI CD & DVD Burner - Gold" the format looks pretty much like the free one you provided but it's FAR more complicated - this one seems much more "user friendly" - Thanks a bunch - we'll see what happens now!

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well, after many missteps I finally got rc.iso burned to a CD - and with the NTI app! Don't ask me how or why it suddenly worked but there you are!! Now I go to the dreaded PC and see what happens - wish me luck!!

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Oh RATS!! It doesn't work! When I start it up, the famous "We apologize. . . " screen starts - I put in the CD, a "Boot from CD" line appears twice at the bottom of another screen - then "starting PC DOS" - the next screen says "Preparing to start your computer. This may take a few minutes. Please wait." under that after a space is "MSCDEX Version 2.25, Copyright etc., etc., etc.," - another space, then IBM Personal System/2 Mouse etc., etc., etc., Mouse is not connected." (I use a wireless mouse) Under that is the command prompt. When I enter "fixboot" it replies with "Bad command or file name" ditto for "fixmbr".

Any other ideas?

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
BUMP . . . . Anyone?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
The mouse won't work because it is wireless and there are no dos drivers for wireless mice.
Did you try my idea
click on me
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The mouse works fine - that's just what the screen's saying because I'm not using the mouse that came with the system.

I don't have the Windows installation CD - that's the fly in the ointment!

Is the download you give in your "try this" the Windows installation image?

The image I downloaded and burned does what I described.

P.S. Thanks for the reply!

Edited by merfie, 13 January 2009 - 04:53 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Are you booting the computer with the disc in the cd drive?
Do not boot then put the disc in. The disc has to be in when you turn the computer on.

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have to turn it on to open the disc drive - I'll try turning it on, putting in the CD, turning it off then turning it on again

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
correct

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
That didn't work either - just got the "We apologize . . ." loop again - I REFUSE TO GIVE UP! I'm going back to square one - I removed the NTI CD thingamajig that came with the laptop and the RC.iso file that got attached to it. I've downloaded the NBXSOFT CD burner - now for the RC.iso file and then a re-burn. Cross your fingers!!