Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

NTI CD thingamajig that came with the laptop and the RC.iso file that got attached to it

What is this?

To use the RC.iso it needs to be on a CD by itself. Nothing else.

Advertisements

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Dadgumit! I've burned 3 discs and none of them work - I checked the "medium properties" with the disc in and it said it was incomplete - is it possible that the rc.iso file size is larger that 700 MB? That's the size of the CD I'm using

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
NTI was the disc burner that came with the laptop - when I downloaded the rc.iso file originally it was attached to the NTI disc burner by default and I couldn't unattach it - figured the only way was to just get rid of it and use another one.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
RC.iso is 7,500kb (7.5mb).

Why havent you used imageburn or Burncdcc (in my signature). Burncdcc is quick and dirty and strictly for iso files.

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK - now I'm stymied - I used a different setting to burn the image to disc and lo & behold, a Windows setup screen started!! BUT after this:

"Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration"

another screen appears with this:

"File Setupdd.sys could not be loaded
Error code is 7
Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

So. . . . .?

justingong2008

justingong2008

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Why not just format your computer then? it has been a while to work on this. it is not worth to do so . hehe

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
There's stuff on it I don't want to lose so I'm trying everything and anything to get it booted without losing anything. Call me hardheaded but it's worth the time if I can get it up without losing anything - then I'll just never turn it off again! hehe

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Oh *$#@! - now I have an even WO_ SE p oblem! The lette between q and s has stopped wo_ king on my laptop!! That means I can't log onto ANY of my ID/passwo_ d sites since my ID has an _ in it!! PLEASE HELP!!! I tu_ ned it off and _ebooted but it didn't change.

Looked around at various forums for solution - no help - as I talked to a friend on the phone about it, I popped the cover off and yuch - it was groady under there - cleaned it out and it's working again - sometimes have to strike it twice but hey, it's making Rs!

So it's back to the Windows Won't Boot on my PC problem. . . .

Edited by merfie, 14 January 2009 - 09:29 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Go to my post here Click on me.
Click on the RC.ISO link and down load.
Go to this linkClick on me and on the left hand side of the web page is a download button click on that & download. This should download a file called Setup_MagicISO.exe.
Double click on the file to install and accept all the defaults. When it is finished put a blank cd into your drive,open the program and click on the Try it button. In the top drop down box choose your cd/dvd burner. In the box under that marked CD/DVD image file click on the yellow folder on the right hand side.
Navigate to where you have the RC.ISO file you downloaded from my previous link. Click on the cd/dvd writing speed down arrow & choose a speed (the slower the better) leave the format as Mode 1. Click on the Burnit button>
When it is finished it will eject the cd. Leave the cd in the draw, Close the draw and reboot the computer.
Follow the instructions in my previous link.

Did you install any new hardware or software before this problem occurred ? If you did install any new hardware then unplug it before trying any of the above.
Cheers
Peterm
PS
Read my rule 3 in my sig

Edited by peterm, 15 January 2009 - 05:39 AM.

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Regarding losing all your data,

If its necessary that you keep all the data you could get a SATA+IDE to USB converter.

If you have another machine you could copy all the data you needed from the old hard drive.

Then re install it on the machine and reinstall windows.

Just an idea?

Advertisements

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No prob about rule #3, Petey!! This happened @ a year or so ago but after diddling with it for awhile it would boot - I finally just left it on. A couple of months ago my friend gave me her bigger monitor - in the process of hooking it up the PC got turned off but rebooted instantly when turned back on. I thought it was "fixed" so I continued to turn it off & on. After about 6 or 8 times it went into that "We apologize . . ." loop. A couple of months before that I installed that RegCure thing and I'm sure it messed up my registry.

I'm somewhat confused about the instructions you've given this time - you say to leave the CD in the drawer after it's burned, close the drawer and reboot the computer. I'd be burning it on my laptop so that wouldn't do anything for the PC - do you mean put it in the PC and try to boot it?

The cd I burned before apparently has the Windows image on it but it won't get past that "File Setupdd.sys could not be loaded" screen. Do you think that reburning another cd the way you describe will solve that problem?

Sorry to be so dense - your patience is extraordinary! Ozzies Rock!

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Wambo - thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid it's over my head! I "googled" SATA+IDE to USB converter and got what seemed to be a really good site about it but I'm still scratching my head!! How does that get data off my PC if it won't boot? How would I be able to see what data I wanted to save? Sorry if my questions are just TOO elementary!

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Sorry my friend should of explained it a bit better.

You have to take the hard drive out of the PC.

Plug the adapter into it then into another working PC.

Then go into it and find the files you need to keep.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Since you are creating the RC.iso on the laptop, you need to put it in the failed computer. Without turning the computer on, you can use a paperclip in the little hole in the front of the drive to manually open it.
This is used when the cdrom has failed and to get a cd out.
Then turn on the computer. Watch the screen and when you see "boot from CD" hit a key (enter).
It should start loading and booting from the CD.

And sorry about the mixup in computers/ cd drives. When the posts get long, we kinda forget a few things.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
-

do you mean put it in the PC and try to boot it?

Yes :)
Sometims files get corrupted when downloading or burning

Edited by peterm, 15 January 2009 - 03:51 PM.