Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you one and all!! Here I go again . . . . (good thing I got a megasized batch of CDs - looks like I'll be using a few!) LOL

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts

good thing I got a megasized batch of CDs - looks like I'll be using a few

I am trialing XP Lite for myself, 6 or 7 cd's so far in the bin.
Welcome to the fun side.

Edited by peterm, 16 January 2009 - 02:07 AM.

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Whats XP lite? sorry dont mean to hijack but never heard of it. lol

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok gang - NOW I give up! I did everything you said, peterm, but got the same result as before - i.e. "File setupdd.sys could not be loaded - - - Error code is 7 - - - Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit." So I exited and now I have to go to a hair replacement salon to repair all the patches where I've been tearing my hair out! Oh well - thanks for all your help and patience -

merfie

merfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well. well, well - just thought I'd let you guys know - the problem is that my PC is an eMachine!! Apparently they have some special arrangement with Microsoft and only the eMachine restore discs will work on it!
So I put the first one in and, of course, right away I'm stymied again - It gives 2 choices - the first is to restore - the second is to boot from cd rom with command prompt - naturally, I selected boot from command prompt without the slightest idea of what command to enter! Brilliant, yeah?! So now I have to figure out what to put in there - any ideas?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Are you using the original monitor. If not plug it back in. READ RULE 2
Warning The hardware components in a computer are very sensitive to static electricity.
Make sure you touch some metal part first to discharge static.

1. Shut down your computer, and then remove all the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) devices.
(This means any add on cards)
2. Restart your computer.
* If Windows starts successfully, shut down your computer, and then reinstall the PCI devices one at a time. Start Windows after the installation of each device. When you install a device that causes the issue that is described in the "Symptoms" section, remove that device, and then continue to install the other PCI devices.
* If Windows does not start successfully, remove one or more of the memory modules that are installed in your computer. Leave sufficient RAM for your computer to start and run Windows XP.

Note Windows XP requires 128 megabytes (MB) RAM. The minimum is 64 MB and the maximum is 4 gigabytes (GB).

For example, if two 256-MB memory modules are installed in your computer, remove one of the memory modules. If Windows starts successfully, shut down the computer, and then reinstall the RAM modules one at a time. Start Windows after the installation of each RAM module. When you install a module that causes the issue that is described in the "Symptoms" section, remove that module, and then continue to install the other RAM modules.

Edited by peterm, 17 January 2009 - 03:08 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Weren't we trying to get to recovery console to run checkdisk?
If you booted from cd and got a command prompt, I suspect you have a C:
If so try a chkdsk /f/r Note the space before the first /

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
I think the problem may be hardware related - eithe something with the new monitor or a bad ram stick.