Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp service pack 3

• Please log in to reply

boo5790

boo5790

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
hey all. i have a question about the windows xp reinsatallation. i am not having any problems but i did a about 2 months ago. i have a dell dimension e520 and when i had problems previously i just had to hit ctrl and f11 to set back to manufacturer settings. i had a serious problem that i could not use the ctrl f11 and had to take my system in to a tech and ended up having to have xp reinstalled. thus i lost my ctrl f11 to set back to dell settings. windows xp that was installed is windows xp service pack 3. the xp installation cd that i recieved with my computer is xp service pack 2. i was wondering if something happens down the road (god forbid) and i have to reinstall xp will i be able to use my service pack 2 cd? or will the computer ask for the service pack 3 cd. i am not very computer literate so most stuff i dont understand. i know that i have service pack 3 in my add remove. if i removed that would i be able to use my xp service pack 2 cd? i hope i havent rambled on too much, i am just trying to learn things by asking questions. thanks for any and all info

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your SP2 disk would be fine. Remember to apply SP3 after you've had to use the disk though.

boo5790

boo5790

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
hi neal. thank you, someone told me that i wouldnt be able to use the service pack 2 cd to reinstall windows xp if i had service pack 3 installed but i was kinda sure that i could. i guess this guy knows even less than i do. thanks for replying.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The problem with listening solely to other people is summed up as follows: If somebody else told you to jump off a cliff would you go and do it? :)

boo5790

boo5790

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
the problem with knowing very little about computers is that when you are trying to learn, you hope the advice and help you recieve is by people who truly know what they are talking about. i would not do anything without the advice and instructions from the qualified personel on this site. fortunately i do not have any issues that i am aware of right now but i wanted to know for my satisfaction.