Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2 questions.

• Please log in to reply

InFlames

InFlames

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am sorry if this is in the wrong spot , i looked at the forums and could not dtermine where they fell.

1.) Why do some programs or files contain folders that even after you delete them , they end up being recreated no matter how many times you delete them. Is there a way to prevent them from reappearing?

2.) I downloaded a bunch of my CDs to my computer. When I downloaded them I used WMP and they were ptoected. Now , upon trying to make some mixed CDs from my car , I found I cannot copy them because they are protected. Is there a way to unprotect them without having to dowload them all over again? I was trying to burn with Sonic , Is it just them or can I copy to a CD using another program while they are still protected files?

Advertisements

InFlames

InFlames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry to bump this , it kind of got buried and wasn't sure if someone may have the answers to the questions. If not sorry for bumping it.

Edited by InFlames, 05 May 2005 - 06:22 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

I am sorry if this is in the wrong spot , i looked at the forums and could not dtermine where they fell.

1.) Why do some programs or files contain folders that even after you delete them , they end up being recreated no matter how many times you delete them. Is there a way to prevent them from reappearing?

what programs?

2.) I downloaded a bunch of my CDs to my computer. When I downloaded them I used WMP and they were ptoected. Now , upon trying to make some mixed CDs from my car , I found I cannot copy them because they are protected. Is there a way to unprotect them without having to dowload them all over again? I was trying to burn with Sonic , Is it just them or can I copy to a CD using another program while they are still protected files?

View Post

no

InFlames

InFlames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Gerry , thanks for the reply. When i got my computer , it has XP and My Documents folder had a bunch of preset folders in it . I determined I did not need some of them such as My Pictures for example , and I would delete them but upon reopening My Documents the folder would be there again. I hope this Helps . Also , i downloaded a video game emulator and that also has folders in it that do the same thing. If you need nore info , I will try to do my best to give you more.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Those are windows shell/system folders and windows will re-create them as a matter of course...used to be you could edit the registry to alter this behavior...can't recall off the top of my head if you can still do that in XP

The video game emulator needs a temporary place to store files in use during the games you play. Most windows apps will use the windows environmental variables for this (c:\temp, c:\docs and settings\profile\local settings\temp), but a few create their own. Sounds like you have one

InFlames

InFlames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Gerry , thanks for your helpful responses on the matter. They aren't major problems , so I guess i will just have to deal. Thanks again.

Jim