Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOPZilla, did I shoot myself in the foot?

• Please log in to reply

Seiaa

Seiaa

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I hope I'm posting this in sort of the proper place. I will be posting in the Malware forum later with a full HijackThis log and such, but this isn't really entirely related so I didn't want to clutter up that forum with this issue.

After dealing with a nasty pop up, Firefox started to open random windows and tabs without me clicking on anything or even running Firefox. I knew I had a problem so I did a little googling. Eventually I found this forum and someone with a similar problem. I noticed somewhere a recommendation for STOPZilla so I downloaded the trial to see what it would find.

It found so much crap on my computer and I was like "wow, something that might actually catch everything" and I was sick and so that might have clouded my judgment, but since it wouldn't remove anything without purchasing the product, I went and purchased it.

It seemed to work just fine but I started getting more pop ups than usual and my PC-Cillin started catching problems it hadn't before aaaand STOPZilla started catching the same problems it had the first time, mostly Trojan.Vundo.

SO I started researching it, which I should have done before buying it, really, but I paniced. Anyway, I don't know if the issue still persists with 5.0, but I read some old reviews where STOPZilla continued to charge every year without asking, which is not only frightening in itself, but it means that they still have my information.

On top of all that, now, it got rid of vugukibo.dll that was supposed to be related to something it got rid of, and so I get an error message every time I start my computer from rundll about how it can't find it. I don't know if this is a good thing or not.

Now I'm wondering if I did myself more harm than good and I'm worried about both my computer's health and my bank account on top of all that.

Again, I will be posting about my malware issues in the malware forum with a hijack this log, but I'm running Mbam right now before I do so and I really need to get some sleep, but I really needed to get out my worries about STOPZilla. Did I shoot myself in the foot or is it okay or once I uninstall it will I be fine? Should I keep it? Do I need to worry about it charging my account every year? I just don't know.

Edited by Seiaa, 24 December 2008 - 06:27 AM.

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Well, you really didn't need to go out of your way to run and purchase programs when the Malware Staff can probably take care of the issues better...

My advice would be to contact them and sort it out...

Good Luck
:)
piano9playa5

Seiaa

Seiaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yeah, again,, I paniced. I will contact them and see if I have to worry about those sorts of issues I was worried about

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Good Luck in the Malware Removal Section...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
piano9playa5