Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Two "C" Drives... hmmm

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

Right now i have two hard drives in my computer, one labeled C and another labeled E, both have operating systems on them. Currently i am running from the E drive. The thing is i would like drive E to be labeled drive C. That creates two problems

1. i already have a drive C
2. i cant change the letter of the drive that an OS is on, right?

I have thought up a solution, i could back up my data on, then take drive C out of my computer and then format drive E with a windows XP disc, doing a fresh install making it drive C (or i imagine that is how it would go). Then put the drive i took out back into my computer. But wait, that drive was labeled C and my other drive is now also labeled C, so two drive C?

Would this cause a problem? would my data still be accessible?

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with this question, or even provide another solution to my conundrum!

Edited by operation, 24 December 2008 - 08:08 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Drive E is your bootable drive. Drive C is simply another drive. This happens on occasion when installing XP.
2) Correct.

Take out the drive you don't want XP on, then wipe the other one, put a new copy on that. Then plug the other drive in and that'll come up as Drive E or Drive F.