Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection Issue

• Please log in to reply

hyeone

hyeone

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Happy Holidays Everyone!

I've been experiencing a weird issue with my laptop wireless internet connection. Every few minutes, the connection keeps going in and out. I would be connected, out of nowhere, it would lose connection, then find my router and connect to it. Right now, i've been connected for 8 minutes with no problem. My computer, which hosts the connections to all, has no issues. Same goes for the upstairs pc, which is also using a wireless connection.

Any ideas on the loose connection to the laptop?

Toshiba Satellite 1410-S173 laptop
windows xp
Linksys router w/ cable modem

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
At this time of year lots of wirleless connectivity issues are typically caused by the presence of Christmas tree lights and their flashing lights. Yes it's possible. Try turning them off.

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
i truly don't think its due to the lights. This problem has been going on for over 2 months now.

Edited by hyeone, 24 December 2008 - 05:37 PM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
It could be any number of things. Are the wireless drivers up to date? Check the manufacturers website.
What security software are you using? Is it up dated? Does this issue happen when you disable the firewall?
Have you tried reseting the network protocols? (start/ run/ cmd press enter. In command prompt type "netsh winsock reset" press enter. restart the machine)

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I typed "netsh winsock reset" in CMD and it might have helped a little.

I'm using AVG. It's up to date. Firewall has no relevance to the issue. The macbook was working perfectly when i first bought it about a month ago, and for some reason now, i have no idea whats going on.

I'm using a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. I didn't find any drivers for the router, but i tired the easy-link setup program, which i also tried installing security but that didn't work at all. It said the password was wrong and i lost internet connections to EVERY pc/laptop in the house. I manage to fix the problem today and got my pc (main), the pc running wireless on the top floor and the main floor laptop to work. BUT my macbook pro keeps trying to scan the connection and isn't finding anything. The new laptop i got for christmas connects for a minute or two and loses connection. (toshiba satellite a305 s6872 vista)

Edited by hyeone, 28 December 2008 - 10:23 AM.

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
bump

Gentoolink

Gentoolink

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
One of the biggest reasons for wireless interference is the use of 802.11g or 802.11b networks and 2.4GHz cordless phones. Router for those networks and 2.4GHz phones operate in the same frequency. Do you have a cordless phone? If you do try moving the base to a different location. Here is some info on how Wifi works.

http://en.wikipedia....cal_information

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
the connection was working perfectly with a cordless phone right next to it. Just in case, i moved it 3 feet away but still have the same isssue

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ttt