Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OC'ing System, Need Help

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay Below you will find me system (in my sig it is the EVGA Mobo)

Anyways I have OC'ed systems in the past but never really OC'ed them I may of upped the FSB a little bit and that was really all I knew. I got a new system listed below I and reading on the new found out that the Intel Core 2 Duo can hit 3.6ghz with out breaking a sweat which I managed. But I also heard that they can hit 4.0ghz as well. I want to see if I can push my System to 4.0 and get the ram running under its rated speed 1066mghz.

So as requested by someone in another topic to create a new thread and post pics of my bios

If you need more let me know, I figured these would be the most important.
Bios Main Screen
Posted Image
System Clocks Main Screen
Posted Image
FSB / Mem Clock Settings
Posted Image
Voltages Screen
Posted Image

Edited by amw_drizz, 24 December 2008 - 12:22 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
To avoid confusion, can you give me a link to the exact memory kit you have in your computer?
James

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500AD2K2/4GR - Retail

Link

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820104060

I got 2

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Before I give you exact instructions, can you please go back to the "FSB / Mem Clock Settings" section of the BIOS and click enter where it says "Memory timing Setting". I just figure it'll be easier if you provide me with a picture of that section and I show exactly what timings should be altered.
James

XcsaS

XcsaS

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I would Suggest trying to maybe brining down the Mutiplier down (From 9x to 8x) and maybe knocking down the Vcore a bit. It will help with Temps and give a higher FSB. Also seems to help alot of us with OC Core 2 Duos. I wouldn't worry much about the ram until you have you CPU where you want it. I would put the RAM forsure at stock and then mess with the FSB and Vcore a little more until you get it right. Don't forget its all about trial and error until it explodes :)

Edited by XcsaS, 25 December 2008 - 08:41 AM.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
kinda dont want it exploding lol

have a happy holidays i wont be able to mess with it for a little while now

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Before I give you exact instructions, can you please go back to the "FSB / Mem Clock Settings" section of the BIOS and click enter where it says "Memory timing Setting". I just figure it'll be easier if you provide me with a picture of that section and I show exactly what timings should be altered.
James

Okay Here ya go, I also changed one other thing. As I have been dealing with random freezes lately (I mean computer Halted can't do anything) So I changed the setting FSB - Memory Ratio from Auto to Sync Mode. As in Auto it was @ 960 and when switched to auto it dropped to 800 but my system hasn't froze yet which is good. But I still want to try and get 4.0 ghz out of this CPU and the ram @ 1066mghz

For FSB - Mem Ration I got Auto, 1:1, 5:4, 3:2 and Sync. I found at 3:2 it runs @ 1066 and I bumped the voltage upto 2.2v and it loads fine (bios) but windows xp dies with a BSOD. It happens quick enough where I can't get any photos or use full info

Memory Timing Setting Pic

Posted Image

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay, a way to revive a dead post but it is all relevant.

First things first is I finally got the CPU to where I want it to be. I have it running stable and comfortable @ 4.05ghz. With a FSB of 1800mghz.

Now with the ram I cannot set the CAS timings manually as my board doesn't go high enough to cover it. That and soon as I push the ram past 800mghz, My computer resets it self after a failed BIOS load. Get a black screen, long beep, reboot, short beep and it is running at safe defaults until I reset it again.

So to ask the question again, is there a way I can get my RAM to full speed? and not only half. I understand that DDR2 is double dynamic data rate, so 800 is actually 400. but 1066 should be 800.

(I cant set the bios to use 400 :) ) But from what I gather the bios shows the full rated speed so even if it is 400 on the board itself it shows the 800.

So any ideas on how to get this ram to full speed (1066)? I have the voltage going to the ram at the maximum manufactures limit (2.20v)

I have also tried getting the RAM to run at full speed with the CPU at stock levels, (ie 3.0ghz just as it was built for) but no go still same issue as above.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
So I am still pulling my hair out on this issue.

It seems that my board isn't even picking up the right speed from the RAM since from kingstons site it is supposed to be running at 5-5-5-18 for 800 and 5-5-5-15 for 1066.

According to Kingston it is programed to JEDEC Standards of 800mhz and CL5 Timing of 5-5-5-18-1T

Tried setting it to both and still wouldn't boot up. My motherboard insists on 6-6-6-18-2T for 800 and 6-8-8-24-2T for 1066 (While it boots, but it doesn't read the ram correctly and windows won't load from it corrupting files put in to memory.

SO is my board causing the problem or could it be a fluke and I got ram that was incorrectly programed?

I've also Set the voltages to kingston spec 1.8v for 800 and 2.2v for 1066 and still no go on it loading correctly.

So current Speed settings
FSB to MEM Mode Unlinked (so I can set the lower mem speed so it loads)
Options are linked,unlinked, and auto
Linked gives me a setting of ratio of 1:1, 5:4, 3:2, Auto

FSB (QDR, MHZ) 1800mhz (equates to 4.05ghz CPU Speed where I want it)
1200 -> 2500 Range
Mem DDR 800
400-1600 Range