Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ntoskrnl corruption?

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay The background.

I am running Windows XP Pro x_64 SP2 (no sp3 since it is based off of the 2k3 server core and uses mainly 2k3 updates) I got it going the way I like and was good for about 1-2 weeks. (just got the comp at the beginning of the month) and I boot up missing or corrupted ntoskrnl.exe file. So I pop in the XP 64 disk load up the recovery console, goto to drivers cache (i forget now was a long night) and copy over the backup copy of ntoskrnl.exe and replace the one in system32. reboot, system loads fine. run AV scan nothing, run spyware using S&D and found nothing. Played some GTA:IV and browsed the web checking forums and email. installed windows update that came through the update manager or auto-update whatever you call it, rebooted my system and slam. SAME PROBLEM. did above and booted up fine. logged in and it auto rebooted on me and now I can't even use the backup copy of ntoskrnl.exe to get my system running again.

Needless to say I had beta copy of windows 7. Loaded it on the computer and Now I am trying to get XP running again. Since well 7 is in beta so I would like to figure out how to get xp working again.

Well I will have to reinstall it. But I would like to know ways to prevent the ntoskrnl.exe from becoming corrupted or deleted again. Cause If XP is going to do that again I will have no real option but to run windows 7 until it expires in june or july then go and buy it. And I am not going to buy Vista since I will be getting 7 when it comes out.

Any Ideas on how to get xp working again and keep it working?

Advertisements