Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with recent build, please offer advice....

• Please log in to reply

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi folks! Thanks for reading this. Any help is appreciated. If i am in the wrong forum please let me know, i wasn't sure exactly which catagory this fell in.

I built my system with the very generous advice from the good people here guiding me along the way. (thank you again by the way) Here is what I have:

Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium
EVGA Nforce 780i SLI Mobo
XFX 8800GTS 512mb GPU x2
G.Skill 2gb x2 = 4gb ddr2-800 PC26400
Intel core2quad Q6600 2.4ghz
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500GB SATA 3.0gb/s Hard drive
Silverstone 800w modular PSU
Pioneer 18x DVD+-R Burner
Intel 10/100/1000mbps PCI Pro/1000gt adapter
Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler
Samsung 21" LCD Monitors x2 (one running off each vid card since i dont use sli)

When I built the system it performed amazingly for what i use it for (some non-intensive games, digital media editing, web development, internet stuff)

I ran into a slight hiccup during my first build. For some reason my memory would not work in the suggested mobo slots. I ended up putting them in the opposite slots that i was instructed, but it was recognized and worked. I think the recommended was 1 + 3, but i had to use 2 + 4.

Fast forward almost a year...........

I decided it was time to reformat my hard drive and start over from scratch. The school semester had taken its toll on my computer with files everywhere, lots of software installed, etc.... I popped in my vista disc. Reformatted the drive. Moved on to the installation and started runnign into problems. It would go a ways into the installation process and then freeze up, so i would power down and start over. Then it would do i again or this time it would give me a blue screen. Anyways after several attempts of installation it actually went through error-free, which i was thrilled about.

But now i am experiencing some strange symptoms. The most notable ones are the fact that i am experiences occasional program lockups. The second and most frequent is that when i drag a window on my monitor, it leaves behind a trail of windows for a second before it clears up. Im not talking about the windows trail effect here, im talking about some kind of remnant trail. I am getting the feeling that my system is struggling to keep up.

Another strange symptom is the inability to install some windows updates, including a couple from nvidia for my mobo and gpu.

Did reformatting my HD bring into the light a Hardware problem that was lying dormant for a year? Is it linked to the mobo / memory issue i had upon install? Could my HD be going? Does the window trail thing indicate a ram issue?

The computer is my life when it comes to classwork and pleasure. Any help would be appreciated.

PS i ran memtest for 3 passes and had no errors.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

A few things you could check. First up use SeaTools to run a diagnostic on your hard drive. Also you can try HD Tune, run a benchmark and an error scan.

You could also try running Memtest overnight, 3 passes isn't a lot.

Next up you could check the Device Manager to see if there are any known problems with hardware.

Last you could look up the System Event Viewer to see any errors or warnings.

Report back here with your findings.

Troy