Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Question

• Please log in to reply

bob39

bob39

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello, I was thinking of buying the XFX GeForce 9600 GSO Video Card soon,

http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=P450-9616

and I noticed that it said that i needed a 400 watt power supply minimum to run this card. I have a 300 watt power supply, but i don't think that a graphic card would need 400 watts to run. Could you guys please tell me if I will be able to run this card on my computer if I bought it. Thanks

My Computer:

PSU Company: Bestec
Model #: ATX- 300- 12Z

Processor: Athlon 64 X2 (W) 5000+ 2.6 GHz

Current Video Card: GeForce 6150 LE (built into motherboard)

Hard drive: one 400 GB Sata hard drive

memory: 2 GB memory installed (1 GB x2)

CD/DVD drive: 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive

For more information, you could search for my computer. The brand and model number are listed below.

Computer Brand: HP
Model: m7750n

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
While I don't know if your computer can run this card with a 300W PSU, it's always better to have at least what's recommended.

However, what I really wanted to post is to let you know that while Buy.com sometimes has good prices, they are normally more expensive than other places. The same card can be purchased from Newegg at a significant savings. I compared the cards by name, but please make sure its the exact same one on both sites.