Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD on startup, disk read error

• Please log in to reply

motioncity138

motioncity138

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone one day I turned on my computer and it had a lot of trouble booting. First I would get a black screen with words in white up top that said "A disk read error has occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to continue." After going through this a few times (along with that message sometimes a different one would show up, saying that a certain .dll file was corrupted or something, I don't know the specific file since it's been a while since I got the message), I'd be lucky enough to get to the Windows XP loading screen; here one of two things would happen, either it would boot successfully and my computer would run normally, i.e. no BSoDs in games or random crashes, or I would get a BSoD and have to go through the whole process over again and pray that each time the loading screen showed up it would load successfully. I only ever got these errors on startup and never while the computer was up and running. It's gotten progressively worse and now I always get the BSoD on startup and can't get into Windows at all. Prior to this complete failure of startup the computer started acting erratically and freezing completely, forcing to restart, during tasks such as watching Youtube videos or playing a game. I reformatted to see if it would help and it didn't; in fact it may have gotten worse.

Advertisements

motioncity138

motioncity138

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I should also add that it's no always a BSoD specifically that shows up after the loading screen; sometimes the little blue bar that goes from left to right on the loading screen will freeze and the computer will just sit there for hours unless I press the restart button.