Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help removing stubborn program plus a few others

• Please log in to reply

carter_glasgow1

carter_glasgow1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
First off Is this the correct place for this question?
Im not sure where to post this.

My buddy gave me a Ezonics Cam a few years ago and I didnt like all the programs it came with so I tried to remove them. I guess I did it in the wrong order couse now EZPhoto Tools,EZShowtime MMS, EZSuite For Vidio Chat Kit and EZVidio Chat 2.0 all get a message saing "InstallShield[R] Setup Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close" whe I try to uninstall them. So then I tried to do a System Restore and It created multiple Program Folders in my program files in a folder named Beston the folders are as follows: EZPhoto Browser 2.1, EZPhoto Tools 2.1, EZShowtime MMS 1(2).1, EZShowtime MMS 1.1, EZSuite For Video Chat Kit, EZSuite For Video Chat Kit(2), EZVideo Mail 2.1. So I just kinda gave up I cant remember if I just tryed to delete the folders or not. This was years ago but you all helped me on a few viruses and I thought maybe you could help me on this.

I also have a program called LightScribe I want to remove it came with some other program "I think"
and I cant find it in the "Add/Remove". As well as some remainders of IMVU I seen it in the startup when I ran HijackThis but didnt mess with it.

Finally I want to uninstall Norton Internet Sscurity. I have heard if I do not uninstall this correctly I could have problems so I want to make sure I do it right the first time.

If someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthew

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Matthew,

I'm sure we can get rid of at least some of these programs :)

To completely remove Norton, please go here and select the Norton Version you have.
From there you can follow the steps on the page in order to completely remove Norton.

Once you downloaded the tool. You can use these steps
  • Go to your desktop and double click the removal tool.
  • You will get a window giving you 3 options. Click "Setup".
  • A new screen will appear. This list will show you all the programs this tool is about to remove from your computer. Click Next to continue.
  • Accept the Licence Agreement and click Next.
  • Type the code that appeared into the box and click Next.
  • It will tell you the tool is about to start the removal process. Click Next to continue. Please do not try to close this window in any way.
  • Once the tool is done it will ask you to reboot. Do so immidiately.
Once that's done, I would look in the Add/Remove programs if you can find IMVU. If so, just remove it from there otherwise we'll have to do some manual cleaning on that.

LightScribe is a program that probably came with your CD / DVD writer. It's a special sort of burning that allows you to burn the label into the CD/DVD. More information on LightScribe can be found here.

And last but not least, the big package of EZ programs.
Is there anything still left in the add/remove programs?
Do you still have the disks for all those EZ programs?

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 30 December 2008 - 07:43 AM.

carter_glasgow1

carter_glasgow1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks Artellos,

I started to think I was not ever get any help.

Well it looks like I got Norton off the computer and it seems to be running ok.
I got the free AVG running.

I uninstalled IMVU about a year and a half ago and its not in the add and remove anymore.
I really dont see much of it left but sometimes I run across it. Someone on here was helping me remove a virus and when I ran HijackThis I seen it in the log..I thought I should remove it but I did not.
I was thinking maybe I could post the hijack log and see if you see anything I should remove including the IMVU entry. I really dont know alot about computers so I did not want to just start removing stuff on my own.

The EZ cam stuff:
These are still in Add/Remove....EZPhoto Tools,EZShowtime MMS, EZSuite For Vidio Chat Kit and EZVidio Chat 2.0 all get a message saing "InstallShield[R] Setup Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close"

I really do not think I can find the disk right now IF I still have it it would be in a storage shed burried and impossable to get right now. I did try to reinstall the program and stuff years ago right after I had the problem thinking that would allow me to uninstall it.. But it did not work.

Thanks for all your help
,Matt

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey again Matthew,

I just got my promotion to Trusted Tech Staff and was skipping through the waiting room, You were one of the few in there :)

Great, Atleast that's norton gone. :)

I don't have the knowledge to read through HijackThis logs.
I see Rorschach112 helped you get rid of malware, He's a great expert so I am sure you're clean.
For IMVU simply go through your Program Files and remove the folders. It's some left over files, I think.

Regarding the EZ cam stuff, try Revo Uninstaller.

Regards,
Olrik

carter_glasgow1

carter_glasgow1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Congratulations on you promotion.

Do you think anything can be done about all the Beston-EZ programs. They really are not hurting anything just trying to clean up a little.

What antivirus and firewall do you recomend?

,Matt

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
There's a great topic here that gives good software recommendations regarding Anti-Malware and Firewalls.

Did you try Revo Uninstaller to remove the EZ programs?
any positive / negative effects?

Regards,
Olrik