Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help picking my new Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Seba641

Seba641

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok here's what happened, I hook up another HDD and disconnected the one that wasnt working right, but I still cant install windows since my computer hangs on "Verifying DMI Pool Data", so I got another HDD from my friend and same thing... My guess is that isnt my HDD but it must me something else. Do you think it might be my BIOS ? I mean there was a time today that when the "Press DEL to get into BIOS" option showed and when I did that my computer didn't get into BIOS it was just hanging on the screen that was asking me to do that until couple manual CMOS clears on motherboard. Do you think that might be a problem ?

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
My old AMD Athlon XP 2400+ on a Biostar board did that as Well. I found out to help it along I had to manually clear the CMOS. Remove the battery, unplug the power supply, then turn on the computer with the PSU unplugged (switch in off position is not enough it has to be unplugged.). Put the battery back in plug in the PSU and most of the time for me it was fine. Other times even after doing that I had to let the computer sit at that screen for a while then it would finally continue.

That is the only thing that has worked for me. Sometimes I just think that computer overloaded and froze, I dont know how but did.

I would try manually clearing the BIOS, it is easy enough to reconfigure after it has been reset.

Seba641

Seba641

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

My old AMD Athlon XP 2400+ on a Biostar board did that as Well. I found out to help it along I had to manually clear the CMOS. Remove the battery, unplug the power supply, then turn on the computer with the PSU unplugged (switch in off position is not enough it has to be unplugged.). Put the battery back in plug in the PSU and most of the time for me it was fine. Other times even after doing that I had to let the computer sit at that screen for a while then it would finally continue.

That is the only thing that has worked for me. Sometimes I just think that computer overloaded and froze, I dont know how but did.

I would try manually clearing the BIOS, it is easy enough to reconfigure after it has been reset.

what do you mean by turn on the computer with PSU unplugged ? wires or just PSU wire in the back of the computer ?

The worst thing about my motherboard is that manual BIOS clearing is under my video card so i have to take out my video card and do it, it's one big pain in my [bleep] :) Biostar motherboards are design the worst possible way, they cant even get any BIOS updates to work right :)

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
unplug the power wire to the back of the PSU so when you turn on the computer it drains the capacitors allowing the CMOS to clear. Other wise the capacitors have enough power even with it unplugged to keep the CMOS ram alive enough for a few days.

So easy steps;

1) unplug Computer from wall

2) remove internal battery

3) turn on your computer while it is off, (some PSU's contain enough power to power on fans then it dies immediately)

4) reinstall internal battery

5) reconnect computer to wall outlet & power on

Edited by amw_drizz, 31 December 2008 - 01:53 PM.

Seba641

Seba641

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

unplug the power wire to the back of the PSU so when you turn on the computer it drains the capacitors allowing the CMOS to clear. Other wise the capacitors have enough power even with it unplugged to keep the CMOS ram alive enough for a few days.

So easy steps;

1) unplug Computer from wall

2) remove internal battery

3) turn on your computer while it is off, (some PSU's contain enough power to power on fans then it dies immediately)

4) reinstall internal battery

5) reconnect computer to wall outlet & power on

Thank you very much your idea worked and my computer is running once again, but I dont know why its kinda slow :) like its 1gb and 1.9 ghz speed or something like that.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
my system was like that all the time for the first hour or two. or after a couple of reboots, and it finally picked up its speed again.

glad to hear that helped you atleast get your system running agin

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That doesn't sound right, have you uninstalled the old drivers and installed the latest for your new video card?

Cleaned out temporary files? Defragmented your hard drive?

Any updates on how you're going?

Troy

Seba641

Seba641

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

That doesn't sound right, have you uninstalled the old drivers and installed the latest for your new video card?

Cleaned out temporary files? Defragmented your hard drive?

Any updates on how you're going?

Troy

my computer is working fine now but theres that other thing that i have a problem with... i was hoping for a big improvement in my FPS while i play wow but its still the same thing... my FPS is at high 10s and low 20s... i need help i have updated my video card drivers to the new ones that were available online.

my other question is how many dual channel RAM i can have ? i bought 4x 2gb and my computer wont turn on with more than 2x 2gb in it

those are the RAMs that i bought - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231122
my motherboard - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813138102

Edited by Seba641, 02 January 2009 - 09:17 PM.

phisicx

phisicx

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was actually looking into this as well to imporove my fps in game...

Okay first lets talk about what you really need to run wow and improve fps. In-game settings go to Video and turn everything down on low except for View terrain distance and spell detail. Those are the only two things you actually need to play wow. I run those settings and my graphics are perfect, dont notice any real difference except the improvment in FPS. It went from 20-35 to 55-80 depending of course on where you are.

However...DALARAN is [bleep] still. I am obliged to turn everything to low to even get up to 5-10 fps in that city. It is extremly laggy and im so over it :)

Secondly, I find it so strange that you have twice the computer I do and I have better fps than you. These are my current OS stats:
2006 Dell Dimension e520
Processor: Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz
Ram: 1GB
Video/Graphics card: Intel graphichs media accelerator x3000 -Original video card that came with pc. Works pretty well overall.
HardDrive: 160GB

I am currently looking into upgrading my video card as well to improve general performance, especially for WoW. I have no clue what to compare to or how to pick out a budget economic video card. Because I don't necessarily need the best Graphics card to run wow...I am just not sure which one would be the perfect choice. I am really looking forward to like 80-100 fps if the price is right.

Anyone have any knowledge or a video card that runs well in video games ( WoW )?? thanks!