Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie build, just wanting your opinion on parts list.

• Please log in to reply

shawn arnold

shawn arnold

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I know you've probably read alot of these, so I thank you for your time and help in advance. I'm just wanting your opinions on my parts list, and to know if any of the parts will have compatability problems. Thanks Again.

case, power supply, input devices and monitor I already have.

-i've got all the basic tools, im not sure if the mobo comes with the thermal paste or not though

parts list

Intel DX58SO Motherboard
mobo link

Intel Core i7 920 Processor
processor link

Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 3GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory
memory link

Diamond Radeon HD 3850 Video Card
video card link

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80GB Hard Drive
hard drive link

HP HPDVD1060i DVD Writer
cd read/write link

Ultra ULT40123 MD3 Media Dashboard
card reader link

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello and welcome to geekstogo,
What is the purpose of this build?
James

shawn arnold

shawn arnold

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well it will be used mainly for photo processing (large raw files), web design, some video editing, possibly some gaming.

Shawn

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
For video editing you have a very very very small HD ... only 80GB? You might want to think about having at LEAST in the hundreds of GB's ...

shawn arnold

shawn arnold

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
lol, your right about that, i should have specified that I'm going to have two additional sata drives, 500gb, set up as a raid to mirror each other, something i needed when my last harddrive croaked on me, but hey we all learn the hard way sometimes. Please keep the opinions coming,

thanks
Shawn

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I would get this hard drive.
http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2458
I've put them in a number of builds and love this drive. Additionally, you are paying 15$ more for triple the capacity.

i've got all the basic tools, im not sure if the mobo comes with the thermal paste or not though

This comes pre-applied to the stock Intel heatsink. You only need to buy additional thermal compound if you wish to use an after market cooler.

Do you already have an OS?
James

Edited by james_8970, 25 December 2008 - 10:33 PM.

shawn arnold

shawn arnold

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ive currently got xp pro, but ill prob switch to vista 64bit version. Im gonna be placing the order today or tomorrow so please feel free to chime in with more opinions anyone everyone.