Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video/Audio Bugs - Crackle & slow motion

• Please log in to reply

cyborgfetusx

cyborgfetusx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey duudes, I'm after a fix my brothers laptop.

Acer Aspire 5720
Vista Home premium
1GB RAM
any other details needed just ask!

When playing back any video or audio content:
mp3s in windows media player, video clips on youtube, downloaded mpeg or .mov videos, DVDs straight from the disc drive

the sound gives out a crackling sound (honestly sounds like a needle scratching across a vinyl record!) and the audio either stops or continues momentarily, and if playing video, the video plays back in slow motion, without audio!

Sometimes you can re-start the video but it always ends up with the same problem.

I have re-installed latest flash player & directx without success, but stopped short of updating drivers because I thought I'd ask you guys first!

Advertisements

clotton

clotton

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have the EXACT same problem with the EXACT same laptop. It's been driving me mad for over a year, with no relief in site! Uninstalls, reinstalls, changing drivers, changing to an external sound card, changing media players, all did NOTHING.

Did you ever get this problem fixed???

cyborgfetusx

cyborgfetusx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Nah dude, hasn't been fixed, not sure what to do though as you have probably already done everything I would try!

clotton

clotton

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Does anybody out there have a possible fix for this?

Buttes McGee

Buttes McGee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Similar model laptop (Aspire 5720Z), Vista Premium SP1, mostly same problem using the drivers shipped with the laptop (6.0.1.5433). Upgrading to 6.0.1.5477 seemed to fix it.

When I say mostly same problem, I had crackles on the audio, but never an interruption of audio leading to video-without-sound, and it never caused video slowdown for me.

clotton

clotton

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My drivers are 6.0.6....something, so they are newer. I'm ready to throw this thing in the trash.

sebdacrab

sebdacrab

• Pip
  • 1 posts
SOLUTION - Possibly a bit late for a reply, since no-one has posted on this thread in a month:

It's an issue with driver 6.0.1.5433. 6.0.6** are the default Windows drivers. Go to the acer site ( http://support.acer-...ok/as_5720.html ) and download driver 6.0.1.5477. This should solve all your problems.

SebDaCrab

N.B. When upgrading 6.0.1.5477 from 6.0.1.5433 your machine will simply uninstall the old drivers and reboot. You need to re-run the installation to continue the upgrade; otherwise windows will just use the default MS drivers (6.0.6**) which are equally as crap as 6.0.1.5433.