Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Connectivity Issue

• Please log in to reply

XcsaS

XcsaS

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Well this is my first time on this site I am hoping someone might of had the same issue as me and might be able to help me out. I am a hardware tech and I can deal with hardware like no one but when it comes to software and networking I get a little fuzzy. This issue has been happening to me over the last 6 months or so and it seems to happen when it feels like. It all started on my Vista Desktop I would try and connect to a game of CS and all of a sudden loose the connection. Not only from the game server but completely from the internet. I would have issues connecting to my Netgear router it would either take about 5 mins to just log in or would not even connect, also I would not be able to find it would not even find the host I was trying to ping. Yet the whole time Vista would show full connection. The only way for me to fix it was to disable/enable my NIC or restart my PC. I assumed it was a Vista issue until I had a couple friends over with there PC/Laptops and this is the werid part when any of us would try and connect we would ALL be disconnected exactly the same way. So again I said maybe a Windows issue maybe its a Steam/CS issue. It would not do that with other Steam games. I ended up opening up the ports in the router for CS which didn't help. The issue seemed to have kinda fixed itself and I wouldn't have the problem until now. But now I am playing Call of Duty: World at War and I am having the same issue. When I first start I can connect to a game no problem as soon as I leave that server and try to connect to another server I then loose connection on my desktop and laptop. I am beginning to think this is maybe a Netgear issue. I updated the firmware opened the ports for world at war and still no dice! I will list the specs of the PC and laptop below and also the router type again any help would be great. Thanks!

Vista Desktop
GigaByte Mobo and NIC
Vista Home Premium 64bit

Ubuntu Laptop
Nvidia Chipset and NIC Broadcom Wifi (Using wireless of course)
Ubuntu 8.10 32bit

Netgear Wireless 802.11g Router
Model WGR614v7
Hardware Version V7
Firmware Version V2.0.23_1.0.23NA

Advertisements