Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using a tv for my laptop display

• Please log in to reply

jneberle

jneberle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Sony Vaio laptop with a blu ray disk player and purchased an hdmi cable to play dvds using my Samsung 720p hdtv. Whenever I play a blu ray dvd on my laptop it works fine. When I connect the laptop to the tv, I get an error message that says that my display environment wont support play back or something like that. I am pretty sure I just need to figure out how to use only the tv to display the movie but I do not know how to switch to single display mode. Any help?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Are there no directions in the laptop manual?

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
(Have you tried going in the Display Properties (right click on the desktop and then clicking on the Properties). you might find an option in there to swtich your display modes.)

to make it simple, you could try below...
1. attach all the wires while your TV & laptop are turned off
2. turn on your TV
3. turn on your laptop
4. if it does not automatically detect devices then
5. go in the Display properties(as mentioned above) and click on Settings. in settings, click on Advanced, in advanced Menu. you might have to play with settings in both these sections(Settings, Advanced), you might want to select your TV as primary display from here. I can not right 100% details about this section as it may vary PC to PC depending on the Graphics Card installed on each machine.

also it could be that some system files are missing from laptop, a driver is missing or probably TV is not compatiable with the Display on laptop.

many Thanks and Regards,