Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Probles with Win Installer

• Please log in to reply

sauranan

sauranan

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Yesterday I downloaded some photos (jpg) of our new granddaughter from my wife's T-Mobile phone. Afterwards I discovered two events:

1. There was a new "shared" folder "IME" on my desktop. I have tried everything I know or can look up to delete this folder but I cannot
change permissions or cancel the sharing to remove it.

2. Everytime I try to launch an application the Windows Office 2003 Installer tries to start. I can keep cancelling it until eventually my application loads
but it is excrutiatingly annoying. I had this problem before and believe (at my age it's tough to remember anything) that I resolved it by running "Repair"
from the Office 2003 setup options. I did it again but no luck.

It appears that the executable that starts is msiexec.exe

I originally posted this in VIP.Board VIP.Board Post and they advised me to post here.

I don't know if the two problems are related but would appreciate any help I could get.

Thank you &

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Attached Files

Edited by sauranan, 26 December 2008 - 10:07 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Everytime I try to launch an application the Windows Office 2003 Installer tries to start

Any application, or any Office application?

As for your problem #1 try Unlocker: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

sauranan

sauranan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It occurs with any application. I sometimes get the "Error 1402 cannot open the registry key...." and sometimes "Error 2761 an internal error has occurred".
In both cases the error messages reference PSS10R.chm file?

For the IME folder problem, I downloaded and installed UnLocker. The option to unlock does not appear in my right click menu. The only new options that appear are "Register this component" or "Unregister this component".

When I try to do either I get this error message:

"The module (string of Japanese/Chinese symbols) failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

The specified module could not be found."

I also get a "send to" option for unlocker but that results in the same error?

Appreciate your continued assistance. Thanks for responding.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
As for that folder....
I assume, you're trying to right click on the folder on your desktop, right?
Try to open Windows Explorer, click once on "Desktop", and check, if you can see that folder there. Then, use Unlocker.

As for the installer, try Windows Installer CleanUp Utility: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

sauranan

sauranan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the help but there is no "unlocker" option in the right click menu. The folder is on the desktop and unlocker assistant is running.

I already have Win Installer Cleanup but don't understand how that will help. I don't know which application in the list is the problem.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

there is no "unlocker" option in the right click menu

Are you trying to do this from WITHIN Windows Explorer?

Posted Image

As for Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, read Contents of the Readme.txt file at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Then, look for any Office related entry.

sauranan

sauranan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yessir and there is no "unlock" option available.

There are no Office related applications shown in the Win Cleanup utility.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
See, if you have Global Input Method Editor installed (Control Panel>Programs and Features). If so, try to uninstall it.

sauranan

sauranan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I do not have this application installed.

Really appreciate the help..thanks

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK. IME, or (Global) Input Method Editor is M$ Office add-ons, which is needed for inputting non-latin characters (Asian languages, for instance).
Why it got installed with some camera photos, I don't know.
I don't use M$ Office, so I'm not sure where to look for getting rid of it, but...
...both issues may be connected, because IME may be looking for installing some language pack, thus Office installer opening.

Start with right clicking on that folder, then "Unregister this component". It may ask you for restarting computer.
In any case, see if "Delete" option will be available.

If not...

Go Start>Start search, type in:
msconfig
Hit Enter.

Click on "Startup" tab.
See, if you have any of these entries:
IMJPMIG.EXE
IMEKRMIG.EXE
imekrig.exe
imjpmig.exe

Let me know.
List any entry, which starts with letters "im".

sauranan

sauranan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Nothing I do will allow "delete" to execute. It always ends with "You need permission."

None of those *.exe files are on my computer.

I do have several instances of IMEPADSV.EXE one in C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-d..ime-eashared-imepad_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_3a8c422a9f3101c4 and

IMJPMGR.exe in two locations.

Do you think uninstalling Office and reinstalling would rid me of this problem?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
IMJPMGR.exe, and IMEPADSV.EXE are also parts of IME, but are they present in msconfig?

Nothing I do will allow "delete" to execute. It always ends with "You need permission."

Now, wait a sec. I thought, you didn't have "Delete" option under right click.
If you do, and it's about permission, you may need to take ownership of that folder: http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=13157

sauranan

sauranan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That is indeed a very handy set of tools and thank you. The IME folder has been deleted but the very pesky Win installer is still there.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)

If you have Office CD, I'd simply reinstall the thing.
IMPORTANT! After you uninstall Office through Add\Remove, make sure, you manually delete Office folder from Program Files.