Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PowerPoint Viewer attachments in Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

marelsoft

marelsoft

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Whenever I get email with PowerPoint attachments I can not open it. When I Try massege says " This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an association in the Set Association control panel. It is the same in Vista and XP ( message is a little different). I can open ".pps" files after saving them in differne location like My documents. In XP craetind association I think means to match pps with PowerPoint Viewer and is easy to do. Three is not ( I can not find it) Set association in control panel in Vista. In any case, it does not work. Messages posted by two OS link me to folder which does not exist ( I can not find it) A lot of strange facts. Can anyone put some light on it. A little bizzare.

Advertisements

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Here's a tutorial for Vista. CLICK HERE

For XP, either the "Right click-Open with" method or
Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types tab. Select the File type in the list (in this case PPS) and click the Change button.

marelsoft

marelsoft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thank you for your advice, but it does not work. I have correct file associations. In this case pps files with PowerPont Viewer. And still I can not open it from Outlook Express 6. Once attachments are moved outside Ootlook Express everythink is OK. Right mouse click does not apply here, becouse there is no "open with" option if I click on name of the attachments within Outlook. Any other attachments work correctly. This problem is ONLY with PowerPoints (pps) attachments. I have 3 PCs, two XP and one Vista and in three of them I have the same problem. It is very bizzare. Does any body have the same problem. ?

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
The right click is after it's been saved to disc, not in OE.

Be sure to click "Open With", even if PPViewer or Powerpoint is on the menu. You need to open the Choose Program dialogue box so you can browse to the program exe to reset it. Also be sure to check "Always use this program...." and OK.

If they still won't open in OE, go to Ramesh's Site and either download the PPSFix utility or do the Manual steps that are listed. If you do the manual fix, be sure to do it exactly.

Edited by Throoper, 29 December 2008 - 02:56 PM.

marelsoft

marelsoft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Throoper,
Thank you for your last advice. It works perfectly well for XP and Vista. I am able to open my pps files from OE without any problem.
Thank you again.
Marelsoft

marelsoft

marelsoft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
One more info Throoper. It works after following advice from Ramesh's Site. This Site is very informative.
marelsoft

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Your welcome.
Glad to see you got it sorted out.
Ramesh's Site is great. There are tips and tricks for just about anything.