Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop upgrade help

• Please log in to reply

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I just got GTA IV for my laptop and I was so excited to play it but unfortunately it won't run because I don't meet the system requirements as far as my graphics card goes. I have an HP DV6426us with an Intel 945 Chipset as my current gfx but I need to upgrade it to be able to play. My first question is does anyone know if it is even possible to upgrade this part in my laptop, from what I've read it can't be done on all notebooks. Second question is, if it is possible to upgrade do I have to buy a special gfx because it is a laptop or can i buy any part and use it. In layman terms, what graphics card would I need to purchase in order to run this game. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you to anyone who responds.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Sorry to be a bear of bad news. Upgrading laptops is essentially limited to hard drives and RAM. So, you're only option to play this game is to buy a new computer.
James

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
James is right, it is very limited. The only thing that you can really upgrade is the memory. Other than that is basicallly impossible. You can't change the graphics card in you laptop because HP optimizes it to run with their laptops. The graphics cards are optimized to handle specific HP display types, control system battery performance and various other things. But again, you can upgrade the memory, now I checked out your system and the site I read said that it comes standard with 1GB of ram. If that's true then your in luck because the system can take up to 2GB of ram. So here is a link to some decent ram http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820104034 . Now the reason it is two sticks is because your laptop can take 2GB with 2x1GB, which means 2 sticks of 1GB ram. And because it's DDR2 memory, they work best in pairs and also if both are the same brand. Also, your laptop comes with 2x512MB which means you would need 2 sticks of 1GB ram so it all works out perfectly :)

Cheers :)
ROIDO

Edited by =OSS*ROID=, 26 December 2008 - 01:31 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just to clear any possible confusion, upgrading the RAM will not allow the OP to play the game.
James

Edited by james_8970, 26 December 2008 - 03:53 PM.

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Thanks both for the input, I had already upgraded my RAM a while ago and yes I still can't play. I appreciate the answers, it looks like I'll just have to invest in a new computer.