Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Winlogon

• Please log in to reply

Geeves00

Geeves00

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hey all, quick back story. A friend of mine has a PC running Windows XP Pro x64 (SP2). She was having a spyware issue and ran a scan which removed some files. After the files were removed she was asked to reboot. After the reboot the PC boots to a black screen with just the mouse. No chance to do anything, CAD yields nothing. I tried booting to last known good, no dice. I tried safe mode but it doesn't even get to the screen to select the profiles, it just sits at a black screen with the mouse (CAD doesn't do anything).

Now. I figured I would run a repair install but this is a custom built box and the maker didn't issue a normal windows CD, just an image disk which will blow away the drive and puts the ghosted image back on (nice right?).

Any suggestions on what I should try? I cannot get into windows to do anything, safe mode is a no go. I don't have a normal windows CD to do anything with.

I tried finding a boot disk to try to at least get to a dos prompt to try and copy the file over (assuming winlogon.exe is the issue) but my google-fu is failing me and I can't find a boot disk for xp pro x64

Advertisements

Geeves00

Geeves00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Wow, 3 days and nothing? No one has any ideas/suggestions?