Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drives active but not accessible:

• Please log in to reply

semiotically

semiotically

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My CD drive on my Sony TX3XP laptop opens, fires up fine although doesn't show in My Computer as a Drive and I can't access any CD's using this.

I connected another External Sony CD Drive PCGA-CD51/A and the same thing.

Also the same with my Maxtor External Hard-drive.

All 3 appear with ! in Device manager.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. The CD-Drive was working fine. I hadn't used it in a while as I turn off to save power on my laptop (using 'Vaio Power management' ) and it surprised me to find it in this state when switched to on.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Sem White.

Advertisements

semiotically

semiotically

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok before listing actions taken the device is Matshita uj-832d

1. Ok I did check in respect to:

This may not be the answer, but click Start / Run / type: services.msc / scroll down to Plug and Play / set to Automatic

It is already set to Automatic.

2. I then checked the microsoft support article for guided help:

I received the file: 314060.exe and unfortunately the message Guided Help cannot be downloaded at this time.

3. I downloaded the original driver package from sony site: TX3_Drivers, though nothing resembles the correct file.

4. I tried this update file (found in 2 locations on web): KMFOPD-01120300-US.EXE and received message not for this vaio model.

5. I sent email and then registered for this file: (google for location): uj-832d-driver.1.3.1.zip. No email or registration email ever came in reply.

6. I uninstalled drivers from device Manager and then scanned for hardware changes, it reinstalled but to same error message 39: cannot load drivers.

I guess the right step is to find the original drivers (or maybe you think otherwise..?), if you can do this kudos for knowing google better than I surrender.gif

Thanks for any support,

Sem.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello semiotically...

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

semiotically

semiotically

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks :) wannabe 1... yes deleting the upper and lower entries works like dream:

so anyone else...

Start

Run

regedit

<press enter> and follow the advanced (2nd) section within:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060.

Thanks.