Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 1525 - Dropped and it will not boot

• Please log in to reply

angeac

angeac

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:) I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that I have only had 2 months and dropped it approximately 1-2 feet. It won't boot, it starts up and the screen looks find but it is stuck in the loading screen. Any suggestions? I bought this from Best Buy (I will *never* buy from them again) they were no help, they had me call Dell then Dell had me call Best Buy, anyway I don't want this to be a paperweight, I need it for my job. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions :) THANKS!

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

:) I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that I have only had 2 months and dropped it approximately 1-2 feet. It won't boot, it starts up and the screen looks find but it is stuck in the loading screen. Any suggestions? I bought this from Best Buy (I will *never* buy from them again) they were no help, they had me call Dell then Dell had me call Best Buy, anyway I don't want this to be a paperweight, I need it for my job. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions :) THANKS!

Which loading screen? There is the BIOS loading screen and the Windows loading screen. Depending on which of these it is, it points to two different possible problems.

If it hangs at the windows loading screen, listen to the hard drive. You may hear it spin up and spin down, make weird funky noises etc. This is indicative of a damaged drive.

If it hangs earlier (in the BIOS boot up), look for loose thigns such as memory cards. You will need to try reseating them and see if that helps.

angeac

angeac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It will boot up to the point it says to launch repair or start Windows normally but it just sets at the Windows Bar scanning and never goes any further if choosing start normally, if launching repair, it sits for a while then a blank screen appears.

I don't hear anything unusual. Is replacing the hard drive costly?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

It will boot up to the point it says to launch repair or start Windows normally but it just sets at the Windows Bar scanning and never goes any further if choosing start normally, if launching repair, it sits for a while then a blank screen appears.

I don't hear anything unusual. Is replacing the hard drive costly?

Depends, for example this one. Is $60ish for 160GB and 7200rpm. Of course it gets higher the more space you have/want etc.

The fact you can't hear anything is a bit odd. You may have to put your ear right over the HD when the computer starts up and listen to it until it hangs. A very akward thing to do (believe me you will get really weird looks from the wifey when doing this :) ). When you hear it start up it will spin up and then as it starts to load you will hear a bunch of chaotic clicks. Listen for those clicks to suddenly stop and sound like the drivve sort of spinning up again. Things like that. If you hear that you have a dead drive. Other noises are usually louder (squeals, laser beam noises, loud grinding clicks etc.).

When you get a new HD you will have to reinstall windows for sure. Plus lose your old data, therefore lets make sure it is the HD first by listening to it closely.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 26 December 2008 - 08:43 PM.

angeac

angeac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
After listening, it definetly stops after a couple seconds and hangs. Therefore, I am assuming I need to purchase an new hard drive. Is this something you think I can replace myself if I go purchase? Can I purchase a hard drive at Best Buy? Thanks again for your help.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

After listening, it definetly stops after a couple seconds and hangs. Therefore, I am assuming I need to purchase an new hard drive. Is this something you think I can replace myself if I go purchase? Can I purchase a hard drive at Best Buy? Thanks again for your help.

Any computer store should carry a laptop HD, but expect prices to be OFTEN cheaper online. One of the most reputable hardware/electronics vendors is newegg.com, others I have had good experiences with are provantage.com, geeks.com, zipzoomfly.com etc. You will need to pull out your old drive to make sure what its stats are before you buy a new one. Mainly, the interface.

angeac

angeac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
THANK YOU, I went and purchased a new hard drive (320GB) and it works great. Now I have another issue, can't figure out how to get on the interenet using my wireless router that is currently connected to my desktop. By the way, I am the wife HA HA!

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

THANK YOU, I went and purchased a new hard drive (320GB) and it works great. Now I have another issue, can't figure out how to get on the interenet using my wireless router that is currently connected to my desktop. By the way, I am the wife HA HA!

OMG, so sorry about the wrong gender. I should have used neutral terms so so sry. :)

OK, what type of wireless router do you have? That would help me greatly in getting you connected.

angeac

angeac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
LINKSYS WRT54G2V1, no problem on the gender :) I currently have it configured with my regular Linksys Router as my husband has X-Box & does not have wireless adapter.

My laptop was working with it but since installing the new hard drive it isn't working. I am wondering if it has something to do with the wireless adapter on the laptop.

Thanks.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

LINKSYS WRT54G2V1, no problem on the gender :) I currently have it configured with my regular Linksys Router as my husband has X-Box & does not have wireless adapter.

My laptop was working with it but since installing the new hard drive it isn't working. I am wondering if it has something to do with the wireless adapter on the laptop.

Thanks.

Well a few simple questions to ask. Is the driver for the wireless networking card installed. Meaning if you go to device manager, under network adapters do you see it installed.

Another way to check this, does it show up in network connections.

If it does then can you see your network?

angeac

angeac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No, it does not show up under Network Adapters, but if I go to view and reveal hidden, it lists 7 different WAN Miniports.

I do not show it in network connections and I cn not see my network.

angeac

angeac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I went back to my original disks and re-installed the wireless drivers and my problems are solved :) WHOO HOO! Thanks again for all your help, I really truly appreciate it. If I didn't have your help I would have had to deal more with Best Buy UGG! I won't ever buy from the again. Thanks!!!!!! You are the best!!

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I went back to my original disks and re-installed the wireless drivers and my problems are solved :) WHOO HOO! Thanks again for all your help, I really truly appreciate it. If I didn't have your help I would have had to deal more with Best Buy UGG! I won't ever buy from the again. Thanks!!!!!! You are the best!!

Whoo hoo, AWESOME. I am so glad everything is working for you. Make sure you reinstalled your antivirus, your firewall and your other security software. Wouldn't want you to have to come back here because your computer got infected :).