Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe object name not found

• Please log in to reply

mepoore

mepoore

• Pip
  • 3 posts
O.K. here is the deal...

On power on the machine runs through bios then stops on winXP splash screen...cannot get task manager...nothing.

So, I restarted...f8...tried safe mode and get - lsass.exe system error cannot find object name. The machine then reboots and back to the lsass error.

I get this message for everything now. Cannot get log on...command prompt...any thing.

I saw some messages here that seemed to be about the same topic...

I have WINXP install cd. Have been told to pull hard drive, slave it to another computer, pull data off, then reformat...re-install winXP. I really do not have access to another pc to do that; and then there is the issue of re-installing all apps. again. In the past after startup and log-on I have gotten the message that system had to start up from copy of earlier registry.

Any ideas for a fast fix?

HELP! :tazz:

Advertisements

cybermaniac99

cybermaniac99

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
well u can try to repair ur windows installation.
for this : -
boot from ur windowsXp cd, wait for the detection and loading to complete, then select the option to Reapair a Windows Xp intsallation, if asked select the partition on which it is installed.

for details on how to repair try -- http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

if that didnt work u can always install XP on to a partition other than ur previous Xp installation!

let me know the result!

Edited by cybermaniac99, 05 May 2005 - 01:55 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please review the following MS KB article

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

The backup from previous registry is a good clue....Before doing this, run chkdsk /r from the recovery console.

I've had to do this twice today--the good news is it worked once, the bad news is it didn't work the other time,

mepoore

mepoore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Gerryf,

Thanks for the link...the WARNING says Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

I know nothing of hives but I do know I have OEM-installed operating system on it now. Not sure how to get to recovery console...machine did not read install cd when I tried that the other day.

cybermaniac99,

That link looks good also...think I will give it a try this weekend...since my unit is down I can only troubleshoot from work...there were directions to change boot order that may solve booting from install cd. Not that I really understand how I will install xp on to a partition but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

The Dell service rep has me checking the integrity of my hard drive by running the Dell Hard Drive Confidence Test Utility ...thinks it may have failed. Just another thing to try.

Thanks for your help...I will let you know how it goes.

mepoore

mepoore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did the hard drive confidence test requested by Dell service rep. FAILED... the guy says replace hard drive...maybe try to slave old drive to other unit to retrieve data...usb enclosure I guess would be the easiest. Thanks for all your help...I tried to install OS from cd...didn't work; I guess the dell guy is right. Any suggestions on how to make this new install as painless as possible?

Thanks again... :tazz:

Bob/Paul

Bob/Paul

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, what I did is booted from Safe Mode and then copied c:\windows\system32\dllcache\lsass.exe to c:\windows\system32\lsass.exe

When I rebooted, windows booted, but I wasn't getting an IP address. So then I went to System Properties and opend Device Manager from the Hardware tab and found my network adapter. I deleted my network adapter and rebooted. When I rebooted, everything was working.

If you're network still doesn't work you can look into http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325356 .

Anyway, I got by without a repair installation.