Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound after formatting

• Please log in to reply

TammyRenee48

TammyRenee48

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an HP Pavillion 1019H with an ASUSTEK Goldfish 2 motherboard. I caught a virus and could not get it to restore. I turned the unit over to someone whom I felt to be computer savvy. He returned it to me and told me he had flattened the drive and that he had installed a non oem version of XP. I have no sound, no sound card visible, no speaker icon. I have tried installing various drivers to no avail. I went into device manager to try and install the hardware again and I noticed that my C drive is now only 6gigs and I now have an H drive. When I opened the H drive I found that it had all my old files (supposedly wiped out??). I am not sure what to do at this point and could really use some help. I did download FeshDiagnose to get the MB info. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to cough up the cash and take it to a shop?

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it's a non OEM copy of Windows it's most likely a non-genuine copy. I'd find an XP Disk from somewhere and rebuild the computer yourself as you'll have a licence you can use on the side of the case. Then it's a case of download the drivers from the HP site for your model.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Sounds like your "friend" did what he wanted to it. And he did not complete the job.
He most likely couldn't fix it without reformatting, so he wiped it. At least he saved all the data that you had. That is the good thing.
If you want to continue, do as Neil suggested, and we will be able to help you.

If you have any disks that came with the computer, it will help tremendously.