Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't start my PC!

• Please log in to reply

Jeesse

Jeesse

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am using Dell XPS 420 and when I want to start my pc I get a black screen with white letters which says:

Raid Volumes:
ID Name Level Strip Size Status Bootable
0 ARRAY RAIDO(Stripe) 128KB 596.2GB Failed No

Physical Disks
Port Drive Model Seriall # Size Type/Status(Vol 1)
0 WDC WD3200AAKS-7 WD-WMAT11918888 298.1GB Member Disk(0)
1 WDC WD3200AAKS-7 WD-WMAT11918889 298.1GB Non-RAID Disk

Press CTRL-I to enter Conifguration Utility.........
Drive 4 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-4
Alert! Failed to detect one or more drivers during POST.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility
Press f5 to run onboard diagnostics

MY PC ISNT STARTING TO DESKTOP ANYMORE, ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM? IF YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE ASK

Edited by Jeesse, 26 December 2008 - 09:52 AM.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I am using Dell XPS 420 and when I want to start my pc I get a black screen with white letters which says:

Raid Volumes:
ID Name Level Strip Size Status Bootable
0 ARRAY RAIDO(Stripe) 128KB 596.2GB Failed No

Physical Disks
Port Drive Model Seriall # Size Type/Status(Vol 1)
0 WDC WD3200AAKS-7 WD-WMAT11918888 298.1GB Member Disk(0)
1 WDC WD3200AAKS-7 WD-WMAT11918889 298.1GB Non-RAID Disk

Press CTRL-I to enter Conifguration Utility.........
Drive 4 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-4
Alert! Failed to detect one or more drivers during POST.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility
Press f5 to run onboard diagnostics

MY PC ISNT STARTING TO DESKTOP ANYMORE, ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM? IF YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE ASK

It appears 1 WDC WD3200AAKS-7 WD-WMAT11918889 298.1GB Non-RAID Disk dropped out of your RAID. You can try running the f5 to see if it will rebuild the raid by assuming the drive is still working. Otherwise, I have bad news for you, I hope you had a backup or a LOT of money. Your RAID array dropped the drive and in RAID 0 the failure of ONE drive toasts the data on the others as well. A data recovery service can recover the data but expect to pay up to $5000 to recover the data.

This is why I personally, do not advise ANYONE to run RAID 0. The small added speed benefit is not worth the doubled risk of data loss. Unless you make nightly backups and can afford to loose anything that changed between backups. I know a lot of people who run the OS and games on a RAID 0 partition, then keep their data stored on a RAID1 partition. This results in a fast loading OS and games, but keeps their important data safer on an array that has fault tolerance. Then if they RAID0 array craps out, they just reinstall (some even image the drive so that they just have to reload the image and that is it). They accept that RAID0 fails and for them it is worth it.

Sorry for the bad news. :)

Jeesse

Jeesse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I hope I can fix this in any other way. I got no back-up. And the money $5000 for a pc that only costs me $1500! So if there is no other solution I can throw my pc out of the window or what?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I hope I can fix this in any other way. I got no back-up. And the money $5000 for a pc that only costs me $1500! So if there is no other solution I can throw my pc out of the window or what?

No no, just your data is lost. Your comptuer is not dead (just it is faulting out because it has no data to boot from because the RAID array died).

You can try rebuilding the array but it maybe that the drive is dead and you need a new HD. This is cheaper than $5000. As you have no backup lets first start by pressing F5 key at the part where is saysPress f5 to run onboard diagnostics. Hopefully, this onboard diagnostics includes an option to try and repair the array. If it can't then I hate to say it but your data is more than likely lost (unless you have 5000 dollars just lying around).

Now a quick summary on Raid Arrays:
  • RAID O - Spans the data across two drives in stripes, which allows higher read rates by having the data spread across multiple drives. Due to this spanning though, once one drive fails the whole array is lost. This makes it a VERY unstable setup for data. No loss of size (2x250GB drives = 500GB array).
  • RAID 1 - Mirrors the drives (requires an even number of drives). This allows the system to boot even in the event of a single drive failure and allows recovery of the array should 1 drive fail (4 drives can tolerate 2 drives loss etc, providing they do not have the same data on them). Has a somewhat increased read speed as well (sometimes negligible) but not near the level of RAID 0. The drawback is the complete loss of 1/2 of total space due to mirroring. (2x250GB drives = 250GB array).
  • RAID 3 - Combines the concept of striping found in raid 0 with a parity disc. So that if one drive dies, the parity data can be used to rebuild the drive and recover the array. Requires 3 or more disks. Suffers a write penalty though because all parity data is stored on one disk, which means that EVERYTIME something is written to the array the parity disc is accessed. Also, suffers from the loss of one drive of space. (3x250Gb=500Gb array or 4x250GB=750GB) (remember we need atleast 3 drives). If more than one drive dies, the data is lost.
  • RAID 5 - Same concept as RAID 3 but gets rid of the write penalty to some degree but suffers from the same drawback when it comes to space and loss of more than one drive . It gets rid of the this penalty by scattering the parityt data across all of the drives.
  • RAID 6 - Adds a second set of parity data at the expense of an additional drive in space. This allows two drives to fail before data is lost. This setup requires atleast 4 drives. (4x250GB=500Gb and 5x250GB=750GB).
  • RAID 10- ALso called 1+ 0 etc. Basically combines striping and mirroring together. Requires a minimum of 4 drives. So you basically have a mirrored array of striped RAID 0 arrays. Data loss is the same as RAID 1 (4x250GB=500GB) but you get the benefit of the increased read speeds of RAID 0.

First we will try to save you some money by trying to rebuild the array with the old drive, but this time we will build a RAID 1 array. You can see the cost/benefits above. To rebuilt the array you will need to select the F2 setting and try to rebuild it. Understand though, this drive has failed once and may fail again in the future, we are just trying to save you some money. Once the array is rebuilt, all of your data will be lost, so you will have to reinstall windows etc.

If you want to replace the drive that is up to you. Rebuild will be the same.

I really hate being the bearer of bad news, but the facts are what they are.

Jeesse

Jeesse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Tbh I dont care about the files I will lose I just want to let my PC work again, I got a XPS 420 from Dell, Do you have a Guide how I let my pc work again? I got the Windows Vista CD and I can install it all over. (Just want to let my pc work again.)

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Tbh I dont care about the files I will lose I just want to let my PC work again, I got a XPS 420 from Dell, Do you have a Guide how I let my pc work again? I got the Windows Vista CD and I can install it all over. (Just want to let my pc work again.)

Hey, I have to go get my haircut, but will be back in 1hr max. I'll try and post a how-to then.

Jeesse

Jeesse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
great and gl :)

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
OK, well there is good news. Starting on Page 30 of your manual, it tells you in detail how to create a raid ARRAY. Try to create a RAID 1 array. From there, use the discs that came with your computer to reinstall windows. That is all there is to it. Pg. 33 I think starts the discussion of creating a RAID 1 array. You may need to delete the old array (the RAID 0 array). Page 35 of your user manual tells you how to do that.

It will take a while, mainly the reinstalling windows part. If you encounter any problems getting it setup post back here and I will gladly help you.

Jeesse

Jeesse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Great you are helping me. I am now going to get the Manuel and do what they tell me :)

Jeesse

Jeesse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Is it normal installing vista takes long at the gathering information part when you choose the place you want to install your Vista on? Or do I have to download my drivers again?

EDIT: Omg, now it came further and it was installing my Windows Vista but it kept at 0% and after 15min a blue screen came with alot of text: It told me that it canceled the installation to prevent damaging my hardware.. Do you know that screen or can help me out with this...

Edited by Jeesse, 26 December 2008 - 07:07 PM.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Is it normal installing vista takes long at the gathering information part when you choose the place you want to install your Vista on? Or do I have to download my drivers again?

EDIT: Omg, now it came further and it was installing my Windows Vista but it kept at 0% and after 15min a blue screen came with alot of text: It told me that it canceled the installation to prevent damaging my hardware.. Do you know that screen or can help me out with this...

Give me a few minutes and I'll look around. Did you happen to catch the error code (i.e. 0x000007B) or the name of the error. That would help immensely.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 26 December 2008 - 08:44 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Good news, I think I figured out the problem. You needed to load the raid drivers before starting the install (this is what I suspected).

This link should help you out. It goes through how to install vista on a raid array, from setting up the array to when(and how) to load the drivers and so on. Its a really nice tutorial with pictures.

Hopefully this will help you out, if you have any more questions just ask.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 26 December 2008 - 09:07 PM.

Jeesse

Jeesse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks i'm going to use it right now.

Jeesse

Jeesse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I made an new RAID Array with RAID0 so the perormance of my PC are as best as possible.

When I exit the BIOS or the Creating screen for an RAID ARRAY or just the screen I kopieed on the first post I always get this error: Drive 4 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-4
[b]Edit: On my small screen on the PC the error also pops up and it says: Failed to detect one or more ATA drives during POST
Do we have to solve this or does the error itself?

Edited by Jeesse, 27 December 2008 - 06:42 AM.

Jeesse

Jeesse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hmm when I am installing windows I get an error: Can not initialise the distribution-engine. Start the installation all over if you want to install Windows.
Edit: I tryed it again but the same problem popped up.
I translated it, hope you understand it.

Edited by Jeesse, 27 December 2008 - 06:49 AM.