Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what should i get?

• Please log in to reply

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
hey everyone! i am building a system and need some advice!
i need to find two good processors and a dual amd motherboard.. and also suggestions on what kinda memory would be the best for what i am doing.... and is it worth it to get a scuzi 15k or 25k rpm hard drive for what i am doing.. or is it a waste of money...?
i will be building this computer for gaming.. video editing, image editing.. some 3d stuff and some audio recording stuff... so if someone could give me some info or point me to some links of what would be the best and the cheapest for this sorta thing? thanks in advance.

- Josiah :tazz:

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Wow your lookin to empty your wallet huh :tazz: I dont think you need more then 15k harddrive but if you really want to spend money then go for the 25k... check out www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com for great deals on prices- keep heads up in local computer stores you might have their too ;)

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
is there a lot of difference between the 7200 and the 15k ? i have never actually used any scuzi devices so i dont know...??
do you know of any place to get dual amd processor motherboards for under 100 dollars?
i kinda wanna make a really nice system for like as cheap as possible..
i think i am gonna go with a 160 gig western digital 7200 rpm hard drive on new egg for about 90 dollars...
could someone tell me if its really worth building a dual processor....
i heard it just bottlenecks and most of the processing power doesnt even get used...
if thats true it would be better for me to have two different computers doing different functions then right?

as i said before i will be doing image, video and 3d editing.. plus games and doing some audio recording.... (using it as a daw)

Edited by Josiah_Fordahl, 07 May 2005 - 10:56 PM.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
I would stick with an 80$ mb and athlon 64 processer. as for your movie editing requirements, get an sata with 200gb (video files take alot of room and sata is best for hd to mb movement), newegg's got em for like 150$. as far as graphics go, i recomend nvidia, and for 150$, you can pick up a 6600 top o the line, just make sure it has 256mb ram on it. corsair has a sweet ram set (duel 512/512 pc3200) for 80$ i would also recomend. duel processer is definantly just a conversation piece-no need.

Nixx

Edited by nixx, 22 May 2005 - 12:00 PM.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
15k and 25k are super fast.. you would notice a huge difference i performance but its not worth

You can buy Dual AMD Opterons but its just better to buy the AMD sock 939 64-Bit FX-55 with a good ASUS mobo

AlexR

AlexR

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
It all depends on how serious you are with editing video. If you're just doing a bit here and there then sure, a regular graphics card will do fine. However, if it's something you are going to be doing a lot then i'd recommend a dedicated video editing card like something Matrox make. They are expensive (around £700-£900) for starters in the UK!) but allow for real-time editing of movies and effects. They'll also render anything in a snip!

For image/movie editing, memory is a premium. Get as much as you can afford and as much as your motherboard will take! You'll definitely need it.

Good luck!

spudZ

spudZ

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
If i were you i would go with a S939 motherboard with a Athlon 64 processor, but maybe when you want you can upgrade your processor to dual-core. Also as with a 15k/25k hard drive, for the things you listed 15k would be more then sufficiant. For RAM, i would go with 1024mb if you're doing video editing and stuff like that. Regards

-spudZ :tazz:

PS: By the way, by dual do you mean dual processors or dual core processors.

Edited by spudZ, 26 May 2005 - 02:24 PM.

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i was meaning a dual processor motherboard.... do they make a dual processor board that supports the 64 fx x2 or whatever its called amd is releasing next week?
cuz that would be incredible :tazz: :) ;) ;)

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Josiah

You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this so weigh them all carefully. Although the new dual core Athlons are just being released at a trade show this week, it is my understanding that most good 939 boards should be able to run them with a BIOS revision. Thats the way AMD has strategically designed them and its suppose to give them a significant advantage vs Intel which will require new hardware for their dual core processors.

It has already been said that you'll get the most bang for your buck with an FX processor, and a single socket board with good dual channel memory should fit the bill quite nicely, doing everything you are looking to do. Personally, I'll tell you to get that top of the line socket 939 DFI board. - about $195 at NewEgg. I'd also push you toward OCZ or CorsairXMS low latency dual channel memory and recommend the FX55. You may want to look into some 10,000 rpm Raptors instead of going the SCSI route, but weigh your options.

My primary machine is a 940 pin FX53 with 2048GHz of registered PC3200 dual channel memory on an Asus board and there's not too much around that gives this thing some humility. I'm running 4 SATA's from 2 on-board controllers and have a couple of big IDE's for backups. Its taken everything I can throw at it and that DFI board is a better board and the FX55 is still the reigning king.

:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 26 May 2005 - 10:26 PM.

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
how much did it cost you for machine like that?????? :tazz:

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
A set of tires for my wife's car, a Samsung LCD for my wife's desktop, a really nice bracelet and a couple pairs of "way too expensive earrings", several romantic dinners and a 27" flat screen television for the bedroom. I also had to buy some earplugs for myself so I didn't have to hear about what I spent on another ____ ____ computer that I didn't need.

No, just kidding - it really wasn't as bad as one might think.

:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 26 May 2005 - 11:17 PM.

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
lol thats funny stuff!