Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bonjour loaded with ITunes

• Please log in to reply

kelkay

kelkay

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
:) Can someone please tell me why ITunes has decided it must sneak in a software program called Bonjour? I found it last night on my add/remove program list. I didn't know what it was, so I googled it. I was not even using ITunes, this is my daughter's program, she got an IPod for her holiday present, and is using ITunes for it. Well she loaded the ITunes program. Now Bonjour just asked for firewall access. I noticed the originater was from CHINA. I am ticked. Why in the world would this program want internet access, and why did ITunes think we need this for their music software? I tried to find a way to contact ITunes but there is no way I saw to just tell them what I think of this. (without just a phone call to customer service...which I still may do) If my daughter didn't NEED ITunes, I would delete the whole program. Does anyone know more about this Bonjour program? I am not happy with this. I blocked it, but did not put remember on it.

Edited by kelkay, 26 December 2008 - 10:30 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I, too, had that happened, but it was because I wasn't paying attention to the checked box options offered during install. I don't use iTunes either and have to watch for updates that has that box checked. Your daughter probably used the default install which installs EVERYTHING.

Just go to Control Panel and use the Add and Remove Programs utility (XP) and remove Bonjour. It will "phone home". Then use Windows Explorer and browse to the Program Files and see if the complete Bonjour program has been removed. It may be listed under a different name so you may want, before you delete, to right-click on the Start Icon for it and select Find Target to see where it is. This should show you in Windows Explorer what the directory name is. I think it was Bonjour. Once you have that info, delete program with the Control Panel Utility. Then find any remants of directory and delete entire directory.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Well I did that. Then I clicked on ITunes to see what would happen. It says Bonjour service can't be found. Blah Blah Blah...I am not sure if it will work. It said to reinstall ITunes to get it back. I just clicked an acknowledgment, and it put me on to ITunes. Well it let me play music that my daughter bought already. She is not here, but she should be back Sunday. I will know then if it is working correctly. Thank you for your help. :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You may have to check the iTunes Options to see if there is a box to check/uncheck to keep it from checking the Bonjour service. Other than that, maybe totally uninstall iTunes and, when you re-install, carefully look at the install options and remove the options to install Bonjour. Sometimes they have you opt for a default ot custom install depending on the installer. Always choose the custom to keep programs from installing unwanted stuff like tool bars.

Best of the Holidays to you and family.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Great advice...sounds like a winner to me. I will do as you suggest. THANK YOU and Happy Holidays to you too!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're very welcome.

These may also help:
Removing the Apple Bonjour Service added by Adobe software
Completly Uninstall and Remove Bonjour Service and Files (mDNSResponder.exe, mdnsNSP.dll) for Windows This one is probably best way to ensure removal.

Other link sources

Edited by Major Payne, 26 December 2008 - 06:07 PM.