Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pci device flagged yellow appostophe even though no pci devices instal

• Please log in to reply

platinum gold

platinum gold

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
i've had a brand new quad core amd phenom 9850 PC base unit for about 2 days now. It appears to work fine when i installed windows xp pro (32 bit version) onto it apart from a PCI driver being flagged (yellow appostrophe) in device manager even though i dont even have any PCI cards in any of the PCI slots yet!

(M/B is an Asrock AMD nVidia series ALive N570SLI-estata2 and graphics card is ATi HD2400 in the pci express slot which i installed fine using the driver cd thast came with the system and the system shows me the graphics are installed fine)

I installed all necessary drivers and its working fine at this stage, although i havent tested the sound yet, as I will be putting a pro audio sound card in the PCI slot soon.

I havent put ANYTHING into the PCI slots yet but in my device manager i have a yellow appostophe under 'other devices.. PCI devices' saying a driver isnt installed for a PCI device, yet i have no PCI devices plugged in to any PCI slots. I cant understand why its flagging this in the device manager and/or what driver it really requires to fix this.

Edited by platinum gold, 26 December 2008 - 11:46 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Its probably looking for the chipset drivers from the motherboard CD.

platinum gold

platinum gold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I did the all in 1 driver from the motherboard cd plus the other drivers such as HD audio and k8 cpu which did the cool n quiet technology etc so i think i may have done the m/b chipset drivers as the first drivers i put on after installing windows if they were on that disk.

Edited by platinum gold, 26 December 2008 - 01:31 PM.

platinum gold

platinum gold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I thought perhaps it was where I'd plugged my printer into the usb without installing the printer and maybe it was referring to the printer that had been plugged in at some point and showing as unknown but having installed the printer properly now, the pci device apostrophe is still there so I haven't solved this problem yet. :)

Any suggestions?

One google search said that a pc techncian had advised not to worry as sometimes this happens and its nothing to worry about. But as top spec brand new pc, a big purchase for me, i want everything to be running smoothly and properly as it should be.

Some dets of the unknown device when i right click properties..

Device Type - Other devices
Manufacturer - unknown
PCI bus 0, device 6, function 1
Device status. - The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

clicking properties gives me...
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0371&SUBSYS_08881849&REV_A2\3&267A616A&0&31

and using http://www.pcidatabase.com

Searching Vendor 10DE says device is Nvidia (my m/b no doubt)

Device search 0371 brings back 4 results

0x3371 FastTrak S150 TX2+ 0x105A Promise Technology
0x0371 MCP55 High Definition Audio 0x10DE NVIDIA
0x7168 PCI / ISA Asynchronous UART Signal Chips Solution 0x1409 SUNIX Co., Ltd.
0x0371 A-Bus IOAPIC 0x8086 Intel Corporation

0x0371 MCP55 High Definition Audio 0x10DE NVIDIA seems the most likely culprit i think.

There was a high definition (realtek) audio driver on the m/b CD which i ran for a 3rd time right now just to make sure (with firewall and antivirus turned off/exited) but the yellow apostrophe is still there.

Just tested the sound out, (didnt get a chance to test the sound out before) and just discovered the sound is not working, tried to open an mp3 says could not open the file, problem with my sound device, it may not be installed properly or in use by another program..

Was going to chuck a pro audio sound card in there with phono in/out connections so then i can test out the sound, which in theory would disable the motherboard sound stuff that I'm messing about with now anyway?

Edited by platinum gold, 27 December 2008 - 12:24 PM.