Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External HD suddenly slow since yesterday...

• Please log in to reply

shishomiru04

shishomiru04

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I don't know what happened, I was watching some episodes of a tv show I downloaded, which is stored on my external hard drive,everythings was just fine then all of the sudden without warning they started lagging....really bad, I couldn't even watch them anymore, so I closed divx out, and even had to use task manager to close it, I have no problem opening up files from my internal hard drive, it's only the external one, I changed nothing about the external hard drive before this happened, I am doing a disk defrag right now, but it will take a few hours and I don't know if that will work or not....it just seems funny to me that this just happened out of the blue and now everything on my external HD is running extremely slow...any ideas on what might have caused this and what might fix it if the defrag doesn't work?...btw it is a 500GB western digital mybook. thank you and happy holidays:)

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I don't know what happened, I was watching some episodes of a tv show I downloaded, which is stored on my external hard drive,everythings was just fine then all of the sudden without warning they started lagging....really bad, I couldn't even watch them anymore, so I closed divx out, and even had to use task manager to close it, I have no problem opening up files from my internal hard drive, it's only the external one, I changed nothing about the external hard drive before this happened, I am doing a disk defrag right now, but it will take a few hours and I don't know if that will work or not....it just seems funny to me that this just happened out of the blue and now everything on my external HD is running extremely slow...any ideas on what might have caused this and what might fix it if the defrag doesn't work?...btw it is a 500GB western digital mybook. thank you and happy holidays:)

Have you tried other USB ports, scandisk etc. A WIDE range of things can cause this. Is the drive making funny noises, spinning down and spinning up. Reading normally then all of a sudden clicking and stopping. Anything like that.

shishomiru04

shishomiru04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Have you tried other USB ports, scandisk etc. A WIDE range of things can cause this. Is the drive making funny noises, spinning down and spinning up. Reading normally then all of a sudden clicking and stopping. Anything like that.

I noticed that it is sounding differently, before when i went to open something on my external hd it would spin up, but now it doesn't really do anything except make this ticking noise constantly...I've tried different usb ports, I have no idea what scandisk is

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I noticed that it is sounding differently, before when i went to open something on my external hd it would spin up, but now it doesn't really do anything except make this ticking noise constantly...I've tried different usb ports, I have no idea what scandisk is

Uhh oh, that ticking noise is usually the sign of a dead/dying drive. It is the drive head attempting to search for the disc and not finding it (usually meaning a damaged head since the disc can't go anywhere).

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 27 December 2008 - 10:22 AM.

shishomiru04

shishomiru04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
now my hard drive won't even show up on my computer!, it's powered on, and it says it's there among the hardware when I look for it, but when i click on my computer, my E drive isn't showing up.....this hd can't be dying/dead can it?...i just got this thing in march of this year!

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Do you have Vista, if so, it will not show dead drives (I had a USB hd that I dropped that wouldn't show in My Computer). As for your other question, HD's are one of the few almost entirely mechanical parts in a comptuer and yes they can die sometimes randomly. This is why we advise everyone to do backups. The HD in your computer can fail suddenly too.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 27 December 2008 - 10:33 AM.