Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

kwasi

kwasi

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
My computer currently has a single Kingston 512MB DDR2 667 (PC2 5300), exactly: here. I am looking to upgrade and have several questions.

Should I buy the same type and brand of memory when adding it? If so just for the single dual channel(two slots) or for all four slots?

How much do I need? (I don't play any of the new games if any I'll be on Team Fortress 2)

Should I buy Crucial and their recommendations? (Crucial recommends that I upgrade to either all four 1GB or add three 1GB to what I have)

Is keeping dual channel in pairs having two 1GBs and two 512MBs better than one 512MB and three 1GBs?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by kwasi, 27 December 2008 - 06:35 PM.

Advertisements

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Should I buy the same type and brand of memory when adding it? If so just for the single dual channel(two slots) or for all four slots?

I would recommend buying the same brand for all the slots

How much do I need? (I don't play any of the new games if any I'll be on Team Fortress 2)

Minimum of 1GB. I would definitly go with 2GB though.

Should I buy Crucial and their recommendations? (Crucial recommends that I upgrade to either all four 1GB or add three 1GB to what I have)

Definitly all 4 slots should be 1GB. DDR2 works only if both sticks of ram have same amount of ram.

Is keeping dual channel in pairs having two 1GBs and two 512MBs better than one 512MB and three 1GBs?

two 1GBs and two 512MBs is better than 3 1GBs and 1 512MBs because the DDR2 would be able to take full advantage of the configuration. Having 3 1GBs and 1 512MB would mess up the DDR2 process.

Cheers :)
ROIDO

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks, so in your opinion(or of anyone else who would like to contribute) it would be wiser to spend $50 on 4GB than $33 on 3GB using only like brands in each pair of the dual channeling.

Also, in which tasks would I notice the difference?

Edit: Under my current RAM specs it reads "Compatible System HP/Compaq." Does this mean the RAM was designed only for HP and Compaq? I know that is what common sense tells me but it seems ridiculous that they would have RAM made just from them.

Edit 2: I have 32-bit Windows XP Professional so will my computer recognize 4GB?

Edited by kwasi, 26 December 2008 - 02:46 PM.

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Are bumps allowed? I searched for a rule with no avail.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello kwasi...

Bumping your topic really does very little good.

32 bit Windows will only utilize about 3.5GB of RAM, so using more than that would be unproductive.

A matched set of 1GB modules (2GB total) running in dual channel mode would likely be the best configuration for you. I usually recommend staying with the better brands (Corsair, OCZ, Kingston, etc..), but you know better what your budget will allow. The important thing is that modules run in dual channel need to be of the same type, size, and speed for best results.

wannabe1

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks for the help.

Is Crucial a good brand?

Edit: Actually the exact kind I need is available in most brands cheaper than Crucial website(even the Crucial RAM itself). So should I get Kingston since my other is also Kingston?

And what's the difference between
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820134384
and
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820134046

Edited by kwasi, 28 December 2008 - 09:30 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I would scrap the 512MB Kingston and go for a matched set of 1GB modules.

Corsair

Kingston

Patriot

The Kingston sticks you referenced are very similar in that they are the same type and latency, though the second one is their ValueRam which is typically of slightly lower quality.

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks again, but I also noticed on the Kingston website they sell system compatible RAM. Is that any different besides they tell you which specs work with your system? My computer is a pre-built HP so I was just wondering if since it's the same specs if it will work for sure.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try putting your system in the NewEgg Memory Configurator. That will show other brands of RAM that will be compatible with your specific platform.

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I think that is incorrect in my case. I know for sure my RAM is PC2 5300 and it only recommends PC2 4200.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What model HP do you have?

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
dc7600 convertible minitower

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The screencap is taken from the HP Online Manual for your machine.
hp_ram.png

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Is there a way to find out what HD I currently have in my machine?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Look in Device Manager...it should tell you the make of the HDD installed. If it doesn't give the name, Google the number that it shows...that should get you the information you need.