Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ugh sorry I meant motherboard. :)

Edit: I downloaded CPZ. It confirmed that my motherboard is the one listed here. That website also says "Memory Type: 533MHz." So I'm confused because I am sure this is the memory currently in my computer and it even has the same sticker of that police looking guy.

Edited by kwasi, 28 December 2008 - 08:40 PM.

Advertisements

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok I did a little more research.

In my understanding RAM is backward compatible so the DDR2 667 PC2-5300 is able to slow down and run at DDR2 533 PC2-4200. The in red here says "Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.When using PC2-5300 parts the maximum memory is 2GB. When using PC2-4200 the maximum is 4GB."

Does this mean to ever have my system notice more than 2GB of RAM I have to use PC2-4200 and trash my current RAM?

Also is 2GB of PC2-5300 better than 4GB(3.2-3.5 recognizable by my 32-bit Windows) of PC2-5300?